Chelsea Pier’s Art Galleries (Field Trip)

During our school field trip to Chelsea Piers in Manhattan, we as a class went to 8 different locations with different kinds of art galleries. The three of my favorite art galleries that we went to were photographer Arlene Gottfried (A Lifetime Of Wondering), Bruce Writon (St. George and the Dragon), and My favorite, Stan Douglas (Scenes from the Blackout).

Arlene Gottfried was a famous photographer during the late 70’s to early 80’s in New York City. Arlene Gottfried exhibit was located at 526 W, 26th st #9C. What really caught my attention with these great pieces of photographs were that she showed and expressed the daily life of how New York City was back in the day. The daily lives of different people expressing their jobs, families, and locations (neighborhood). It was very important to because, society back in the day is very different on how it is today. It is also very important to understand the lifestyle these people and New York City had. Most of the photo graphs were in black and white, with a lot of medium close up and close up shots. Some were from birds eye view and lighting was great.  One of my favorite exhibit I’ve experienced.

Bruce Writon was another famous photographer from Binghamton, NY during the late 60’s to 70’s. Bruce Writon exhibit was located at 521 W, 26th st 5fl. What really caught my attention with these photographs were that it was called “St. George and the Dragon”. These photographs showed specific locations with holy religious crosses in the photos. Many of them were bedrooms, restaurant’s, doors, and etc. The lighting of the way the photos were taken were amazing, very clear, very sharp, and very far shot views. The lighting was great because it made the photo more clear to show the audience what the photograph really was. Another one of my favorite exhibits.

Last but not least, my favorite exhibit and photographs. Stan Douglas is a famous artist from Canada, who works in film and video installations. Stan Douglas exhibit was located at 525 W, 19th st. What really caught my attention with this artist and his pieces of work was his project called “Scenes from the Blackout”. Absolutely amazing photo captures of a  script acting persona scenes during a blackout in New York City, Very clear, very sharp visuals and understanding the concept behind every piece of work in this project. All the photos are acted scenes from a blackout, in different locations. Some in a elevator, stairs, bridges, and streets. Dark lighting but made the audience what the purpose was about. Birds eye view shot, close up shot, far shot view and pano views really made the shots of the scenes very intense, strong , and emotional. My favorite.