HW1-Photo Description

Photo: Manhattan Skyline, Study 1 – Michael Kenna

With all of the great photographers listed in the homework, there was one photograph that stood out to me the most because of how different it was from the others. The Manhattan Skyline Study 1 was taken in 2006 in New York City. The thing I liked about this photo the most is that its a very simple picture that is not busy in anyway and you can just see the great city of Manhattan in a nice silhouette. I feel like the mood set in this photo is somewhat of a calming welcoming one. But at the same time to me this photo represents home because it is the city that I was born in as a child and the place where I am currently living in. Another thing I feel like someone might get from this photo is a feeling of opportunity because if you know what Manhattan is like you’ll know that there is so much it had to offer, whether its job wise or even just sight seeing. There are many things to be done in the City.

Judging by the Nine Tips we covered in class, I’s say the photo I picked would of used Figure to Ground and Symmetry. This photo I feel uses Figure to Ground in an amazing way because of the contrast with the City of Manhattan which is clearly shown over the light background of the sky.

This photo I feel also uses Symmetry to some extent because first its very pleasing to the eye when you look at it and second, if you were to cut this image in half horizontally you would have the same thing on one side as do you on the other. Over all I think this photo is a wonderful piece by Michael Kenna.

http://www.michaelkenna.net/gallery.php?id=14

This entry was posted in Homework, HW1-photo description. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to HW1-Photo Description

1. rmichals says:

Figure/Ground and symmetry are certainly very important characteristics of this Michael Kenna photo. Its funny though about this silhouette of the Manhattan skyline. To me, the buildings look tiny against the water and sky. The city doesn’t look impressive here but rather small and vulnerable.