HW1

Michael Kenna took this photograph, in the year of 1998 in New York City. The name of the photograph is Central Park Reservoir. I found his work style very interesting and unique in many aspects. The photograph is quite interesting and really caught my eye because it was taken through a wired fence from central park to capture the buildings of NYC right across the river. I think that the photographer’s purpose for taking this photograph was to show you a different angle of perspective of things. It seems that he wanted to capture the buildings in the picture to show you a different view, instead of showing you the whole fence in the picture. In the perspective that the photographer is trying to show us, makes the picture seem as if we were looking through a window from part of the fence rather than just showing us the whole image itself without zooming into the fence.

I believe Michael Kenna uses a couple of techniques in order to capture the photograph. One of those techniques is framing which is the use of some sort of window or door. In this case the photographer uses the fence to make it seem like we are viewing the image through a window. I think this is very interesting because you are seeing the image from a different perspective. Another technique that Kenna uses is Symmetry. This photograph can be folded vertical to show symmetry. I think that when using these sorts of techniques you can learn a lot from it. What I mean by this is that, when you use these sorts of techniques you can really grasp a much more different view rather than doing something simple as just taking a photo of the whole image without cropping into it. I think that these elements really help bring out the mood of the picture by telling a story. In this photograph I believe that the photographer was trying to make the mood very settle and give it an old vintage feeling to it.

http://www.michaelkenna.net/gallery.php?id=14

This entry was posted in HW1-photo description. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to HW1

1. rmichals says:

You correctly identify Kenna’s use of the chain link fence as a frame within a frame. and I agree the buildings are presented symmetrically with the fence opening so slightly off to the side.