Week 4 Session 2–The Ligature

Building_Ligature_in_computer

Look at your 100 ligatures. If you haven’t finished the 100, catch up. Of the ones you did, follow the instructions below:

a)  From the 100, you’re going to chose 3.

b) From those 3, using the FONT SETS I give you and the fonts available on your and City Techcomputers, you’re going to build them digitally. You can either scan your sketches or eyeball them, moving the letterforms until they’re just right.

c) In your Font Sets, I’ve included some italics if you want to experiment or use those instead.

Do this:

1. Use Illustrator

2. Put each letter on a different layer

3. Use the transform tools to hide what gets in the way

4. Dim the opacity on the inert layer to allow you to combine the letterforms correctly. You might fine that you have to adjust the placement.

5. Use pen tool with 0 STROKE and White solid to draw around the curves and unite the two letters

Fill one sheet of six panes for each of the 3.

The first one is the hardest; once you get your workflow down, it’s cake.

6. Make a PDF and upload in the assignments section.

Author: Anita Giraldo

Hi, I'm Professor Anita Giraldo. I teach and write courses in design, photography, design theory and creative project management in the Communication Design department at the New York City College of Technology. At City Tech, my signature project is the design, furnishing and implementation of The Pearl media study center, a $5M capital project funded by the New York State Department of Education and coordinated by the New York State City University of New York. Before coming to City Tech, I have worked as an installation artist, designer and fine art print maker. My work has been and continues to be exhibited nationally and internationally and has received funding on the city, state, national, international private level through grants, fellowships purchase princess and residencies. Before that I was the sole proprietor of my own commercial photography studio where I executed numerous national advertising campaigns for fashion and still life clients and consumer catalogs. Throughout the graphic arts industry I have been manufacturing director for international art magazines and production managed consumer magazines such as "Time Out New York,Art + Auction, Saveur and many others. All of these experiences began shortly after I finished art school with my first job as an illustrated book designer in the Studio Book division at Viking Press/Penguin Books.