Pick 2 quotes from the list below and create illustrated postcards. Come up with as many visual ideas as these quotes inspire you. I hope to see many.

1. by Sunday November 8th, 1pm, send your 2 quote selections and proposals in for of hand drawings or digital sketch for version with type only and the one including an image.
  2. by Sunday November 22nd, 1pm, send your 3 favorite variations on the quote you picked for the typography only postcard. See post for baby steps.
  3. by Sunday November 22nd, 1pm, send your 3 favorite variations on the quote you picked for the illustrated postcard.
  4. Final Deadline on your ePortfolio, Tuesday December 8th

STEPS

• Choose 2 quotes that inspire you.
  • Reflect on ideas of image, typography, colors.
  • Write down a pitch about the idea you want to develop, the story you want to tell with each postcard. Talk about how you want people to react looking at your design. For example, should they smile, laugh, be touched or shocked? Describe how you decided to compose the postcard, why you chose that image, the cropping, the colors, the choice of the fonts, the size of the text.
  • Create a mood board on Pinterest. Gather images, ideas, typography, design that will reflect the look of your postcards.
  • Draw some sketches with your first ideas. The more you have fun with it the more you’ll be able to come up with different concepts.
  • 1 design has to incorporate a visual that illustrates the meaning of the quote. It can be a picture or an illustration, preferably something you have created yourself. Place the text with intention and originality, make it look good. Choose the colors, size, boldness, location. Make it easy to read and strong.
  • 1 design has to express the quote with just typography using graphic elements, composition of the words within the rectangle, size, boldness and colors.
    See these drawings below for inspiration.
Artist Lisa Congdon illustrations of quotes. For more check out her Instagram account.

Pick 2 Quotes for your postcards

1. “So many books, so little time.”
    ― Frank Zappa
  2. “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.”
    ― Charles M. Schulz
  3. “Everything you can imagine is real.”
    — Pablo Picasso
  4. “I’m tough, I’m ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay.”
    ― Madonna
  5. “When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That’s relativity.”
    ― Albert Einstein
  6. “I dream my painting and I paint my dream.”
    — Vincent van Gogh
  7. “I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.”
    ― Laurie Halse Anderson, Wintergirls
  8. “Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.”
    — Sun Tzu (The Art of War)
  9. “Each star is a mirror reflecting the truth inside you.”
    ― Aberjhani, Journey through the Power of the Rainbow: Quotations from a Life Made Out of Poetry
  10. “Dare to love yourself as if you were a rainbow with gold at both ends.”
    ― Author-Poet Aberjhani, Journey through the Power of the Rainbow: Quotations from a Life Made Out of Poetry
  11. “There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.”
    ― Albert Schweitzer
  12. “The only truth is music.”
    ― Jack Kerouac
  13. “Everything in the universe has a rhythm, everything dances. ”
    ― Maya Angelou

Postcard Specs

Specs means specifications, it’s a word used in production for all the technical instructions, such as the size, if the postcard is printed front and back, if it is color or B&W.

• POSTCARD SIZE: 5” X 7”
    Either landscape or portrait (horizontal or vertical).
  • Add a bleed if you have any graphic element or picture that goes all the way to the edge of the postcard. The postcard size with the bleed is 5.125 X 7.125.
  • COLOR: CMYK
  • FILE TYPES: InDesign, Photoshop, or Illustrator saved as PDF high-quality.
  • PHOTOSHOP RESOLUTION: 300 dpi

A Few Things To Follow

• DEADLINES: Please respect them. Delayed handed work will affect the time I spend on it and if necessary, the time that we can work together to make sure it is really good. Therefor late homework will affect your grade.
  • HANDING CONVENTION: Homework will ultimately be uploaded to your OpenLab portfolio. The work in progress can be emailed to me.
  • NAMING CONVENTION: title all your files with your first and last name. I need to see to whom the file belongs to without opening it. Write something like your first and last name + project name.
    Example: valeriatrucchia-searchpaper
  • BACKUPS: Be sure to backup all your work on a drive or a cloud such as Dropbox or Google Drive.
  • GRADE COMMUNICATION: Grades will be communicated on the OpenLab. You can find them on the sidebar on the right. You should check them regularly. This semester, per the college’s academic calendar, midterm grades must be posted by October 29th. Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have questions about them.
  • FEEDBACK: every time I receive your work at all stages, I will give you a personal feedback by email. At the more final stage of your visual work I will create slideshows with all the stages and do a group comment for everyone to watch. We all learn from each other.