When to Use Process Colors CMYK
Use process colors when your support uses:
- full-color photographs
- complex multi-color graphics
- more than 2 spot colors
Process color printing can be less expensive than using 3 or more spot colors.
When to Use Spot Colors PMS
If your project has one of these specifications:
- no full-color photographs and uses only one or 2 colors
- a large surface, such as a poster
- needs a color that cannot be accurately reproduced with CMYK inks, such as precise color matching of a brand color
- needs more vibrant colors or more exact color matching than what CMYK inks produce
- needs consistency on all the supports
- requires special effects such as metallic or fluorescent spot inks.