Working individually or in teams, students consult with a variety of clients on the design and production of logos, posters, advertising campaigns, brochures and other promotional materials. Students are responsible for collecting research, conducting meetings, making presentations and following client guidelines. The role of deadlines and budgets is stressed. Students are expected to be involved in all phases of production.
For the successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a professional design firm/agency situation and contribute effectively as a member of a creative/production team.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop strategy based on research and client guidelines.
- Develop and produce viable visual and verbal communications concepts for the client use through the steps of the creative process.
- Produce a professional level proposal and presentation. Conduct a client meeting and make a formal presentation of creative work.
- Design and/or produce all aspects of materials, from concept to presentation to production, according to a schedule agreed upon by agency/studio and client.
The following syllabus presents the college approved course requirements, learning outcomes, suggested weekly course outline, etc. Your students should meet the defined learning outcomes and COMD Standards, but please adapt the weekly outline, project guidelines, and grading scheme, as needed.
- COMD 4701 Syllabus (google drive)
The model course is available for cloning on the OpenLab. Simply login and click on the “Clone This Course” button. Contact the OpenLab Team with questions.
If you use Blackboard, review the Model Course content and structure, and transfer to your Blackboard course. Contact the iTEC Team with questions.
This course utilizes the following Open Educational Resources (OER), zero cost resources, and/or required textbook :
- The latest Graphic Artist Guild Handbook
Please review and share the following resources with your BFA students.
- COMD Student Advisement
- Grace Gallery – BFA Show Submissions
- COMD Student Clubs
- Ink Club
- Art & Design Club
- Moving Pixels club
- OpenLab Help
- Blackboard Support
- Tutoring Schedule
- Atrium Learning Center
- City Tech Library
- Student Counseling Center
- Center for Student Accessibility
- Financial Aid Office
- Academic Advising
- Student Life & Development
Print this page