Working independently, each student researches, conceptualizes and develops an in- depth project, across media channels, which uses design-thinking to address a contemporary issue.
For the successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to develop strategy based on independent research.
- Think critically and creatively to solve visual communication problems. Design and/or produce images and text that effectively communicate intended content.
- Identify, evaluate and effectively respond to ethical issues as a citizen and a professional.
- Present and defend his or her work to a client.
The following syllabus presents the college approved course requirements, learning outcomes, suggested weekly course outline, etc. Your students should meet the defined learning outcomes and COMD Standards, but please adapt the weekly outline, project guidelines, and grading scheme, as needed.
- COMD 3701 Syllabus (google drive)
This Model Course is an openly available, fully developed web-based instructional resource containing course info, learning outcomes, suggested weekly topics and projects, video resources, quizzes, rubics, grading policy, and more.
The model course is available for cloning on the OpenLab. While logged in, click on the “Clone This Course” link. Contact the OpenLab Team with questions.
If you use Blackboard, review the Model Course content and structure for use in your Blackboard course.
Please review the Distance Education and Continuity Best Practices. These standards apply to all courses, whether web-enhanced, hybrid, or fully online, and may be used to inform peer evaluation of teaching.
This course utilizes the following Open Educational Resources (OER), zero cost resources, and/or required textbook :
- Change by Design, Tim Brown
- Writing and Research for Designers, Steven Heller
- Graphic Design Thinking (Design Briefs), Ellen Lupton
Please review and share the following resources with your BFA students.
- COMD Student Advisement
- Grace Gallery – BFA Show Submissions
- COMD Student Clubs
- Ink Club
- Art & Design Club
- Moving Pixels club
- OpenLab Help
- Blackboard Support
- Tutoring Schedule
- Atrium Learning Center
- City Tech Library
- Student Counseling Center
- Center for Student Accessibility
- Financial Aid Office
- Academic Advising
- Student Life & Development
Print this page