WEB DESIGN II
After taking the introductory COMD 2450 Web I, this is the first course for students majoring in web design. Students will learn to use both graphics software, such as Dreamweaver, and to manipulate the code (XHTML, CSS) to improve on web optimization and to create clean code. Forms and integration of other technologies will be practiced.
For the successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Create a web site (not a portfolio web site) to brand and market a product, service, or information on a specific topic.
- Deconstruct the process of site design and implementation.
- Learn, in depth, the tags and syntax used in XHTML and CSS, to an intermediate to expert skill level.
- Learn how to build a layout, coding by hand, the basic layout alternatives: fixed, liquid and elastic layouts, and the different forms of positioning: absolute, relative, floated.
The following syllabus presents the college approved course requirements, learning outcomes, suggested weekly course outline, etc. Your students should meet the defined learning outcomes and COMD Standards, but please adapt the weekly outline, project guidelines, and grading scheme, as needed.
- COMD 3551 Syllabus (google drive)
If available, a cloneable model course contains learning outcomes, suggested weekly topics and projects, video resources, quizzes, and more.
This course utilizes the following Open Educational Resources (OER), zero cost resources, and/or required textbook:
- Styling With CSS Charles Wyke-Smith New Riders ISBN-10:0-321-52556-6
- CSS Mastery, Advanced Web Standards Andy Budd 2 COMD COMD 3551 Web Design II: Advanced XHTML & CSS Friends of ED ISBN-10:1-59059-614-5
Please review and share the following resources with your BFA students.
- COMD Student Advisement
- Grace Gallery – BFA Show Submissions
- COMD Student Clubs
- Ink Club
- Art & Design Club
- Moving Pixels club
- OpenLab Help
- Blackboard Support
- Tutoring Schedule
- Atrium Learning Center
- City Tech Library
- Student Counseling Center
- Center for Student Accessibility
- Financial Aid Office
- Academic Advising
- Student Life & Development
Print this page