A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Wednesday’s assignment

Question-How does defunding the police system will cause changes in the community?

I’m interested in the topic because it makes you curious what will happen to the entire community. How defunding will lead to positives and negatives which would outweigh the other and in that will the community be better or worse. Personally I believe defunding the police will cause a lack of effort from the cops as now the cops will feel like no one is on their side and may cause them to work less hard. Also defunding the police may lead to more crimes which in hence will change the community. However these are only thoughts rather is there any clear proof of such actions and how will the community in the future events change due to such a drastic change.

I expect to find in my research an answer based on static or evidence to show that defunding the police is a horrific idea and based on this we can hopefully see how it would affect the community more negatively than positively. I expect to find this because I want to make it clear to everyone that defunding the police won’t change corrupt cops or get rid of them but it would mainly just help crime rates go up and also may increase the chance of cops to become lazier because the cops may feel resentment that they risk their lives for our but we don’t care about them.

If the information goes completely against what I expected then I will accept the fact my point of view wasn’t correct. I won’t throw out my point of view to a complete degree rather ill accept the view and accept it as it would be true and I can’t argue with facts however I do believe the cops will still feel resentment towards the people because they are humans and feel like us. These cops who risk their lives may not try their best since they might believe we don’t care about them then why should they care for us. Yes I will write about it anyway as I may help those who think like me to see the truth that our view was wrong but also try to make everyone understand cops have feelings and all cops aren’t bad at all. I will challenge my assumptions since they weren’t right. That means you always have to look at both sides and see what is always more factual.

The genres that might give me the best information are articles on the effects of defunding police because it will show what happened in one state and this can translate to another. Statical charts to show the correlation between money and crime rates and safety of communities. Lastly is more of opinions it’s that of people getting interviewed about the defunding the police this is to show views of how people think and how people react and also to show how this can affect the community in 2 ways either those who are happy for defunding of the police and those who aren’t.

1. Lisa Cole

Hi Ash, this is an excellent draft introduction, with excellent responses to the questions posed. You have certainly given this a lot of thought. However, the problem here is that your research question should have been approved by me first. Your research question is too broad. I’d like you to focus your question on a particular community or communities (maybe you want to compare communities. You don’t have to revise this assignment, but make sure your research sources reflect a particular community/communities.