Text/ Quote Response
“I hate slow drivers.* When I’m driving in the fast lane, maintaining the speed limit exactly, and I find myself behind someone who thinks

the fast lane is for people who drive ten miles per hour below the speed limit” pg. 242

I could relate to this a lot, especially people that walk slow, it gets really annoying if I am rushing to the train or to an appointment and a slow walker is in front of me, But it is easier to pass someone walking than it is to pass a car which makes it even more infuriating
“Plus, the more effectively you anticipate that pickiness, the more likely it is that readers will interpret your quotations and paraphrases in the way you want them to” pg. 243 This seems accurate as being aware of the audience and how knowledgeable they are is very important as it will allow you to communicate in a language that best fits them.
“grabbing right and left for topics (or quotes) in an effort to sound authoritative. The Fix is to return to each quotation and decide why it’s there and then massage it in accordingly.” pg. 248 I can plead guilty to this as I used to do it, but now I realize that having a few accurate relevant quotes is better than having a tom of quotes that throw off the whole paper and can make people think that you barely put any effort into making the paper.
“The communication failure here is simple: you’re used to finding certain kinds of basic information in the places people usually put it. If it’s not there, you’re annoyed.” pg, 251 Sometimes when looking for evidence it can be tempting to look in all the places that basic information is presented but it is much better if more research and better quotes are picked.

While reading “Annoying Ways People Use Sources” I learned a lot of ways people use sources incorrectly and how that can impact the project. Stedman states that if you do not follow the guidelines for the correct usage of sources it is due to either two reasons, the first being you don’t know the generally accepted practices of using sources and the other reason being you know the guidelines but don’t care. Stedman provides some of the most common mistakes and also provides a suggestion on how we can fix that. For example, if citing a book in the text it would be appropriate to use the first word that appears in the works cited page rather than writing the full name of the book. One question that I have is, If someone is well aware of the accepted practices of using sources, why would they choose to ignore them?

While the educational system in the United States has been improving in some ways, sadly it still lacks a lot of things that would make it adequate and fair to everyone. In many states especially southern states students are being taught incorrect information about African American history in an attempt to deface and devalue the legacy of the people who fought for their lives and rights. African-American and culture studies professor, David Ikard, talks about his experience with such an incident, he says that his son told him Rosa Parks refused to go to the back of the bus because she was an old lady who had tired feet. That is completely false, Ikard says “young, radical black women who don’t take any stuff from anybody are very scary, who stand up to power and are willing to die for that — those are not the kind of people that make us comfortable.” The schools taught such false information because that way it would be more digestible for the general audience, but at what cost? Rosa Parks was a fierce young woman who was tired of inequality and racism.