A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

October 12th “Navigate Genres”

1. Why are you interested in this question? 

Personally I suffered from depression and I still face it present today. I faced it at a young age, I didn’t really comprehend at that time what it was or how I ended up being depressed. All I knew was that I was slowly becoming a disappointment for my parents due that my grades weren’t the same. No, they never told me that but deep down I knew they weren’t happy with how my grades were looking like. Moving on I would like to go deeper into what the whole word “depression” actually is, it’s more than just a mental illness. How come do kids suffer from depression at a very young age, is it hereditary? Depression isn’t something that is really spoken about, some people don’t believe that it’s a real thing, that people actually suffer from it. 

1. What do you expect to find in your research? 

I expect to find answers to all of my questions that I have for this topic. Like I had mentioned before, I want to go in deeper, fully understanding everything that has to do with depression. I want to learn what are certain activities that people, even myself can do in order to prevent from falling more deeper into depression. I want to be able to fully understand the topic so I can share my knowledge about it with some of my friends that sometimes might feel down or just not feeling themselves. I want to prevent them from falling into that ugly dark hole that won’t do any good for them. I have a variety of reasons for what I expect to find in my research. 

1. What will you do if you find information that goes completely against what you had expected to find? 

If I do find any information that goes completely against what I had expected to find I will definitely write, include it in my research paper. Personally I always tell myself that any information is always useful, whether it’s positive or against your topic it’s always good. With the information that I may find that’s against from what I thought I’ll find I will go into it deeper and learn of it. 

1. What genres do you think might give you good information? 

Some genres that I believe that will give me some good information would be the daily news, reports, studies (medical studies), data information. 

1. Lisa Cole

Odalis, Your question is excellent: How come do kids suffer from depression at a very young age, is it hereditary? FYI, kids is a slang term so use children instead. Also, take “do” out of the question. Your responses are excellent too. You may proceed with your research.