Quote 1:

“The first draft is the child’s draft, where you let it all pour out and then let it romp all over the place, knowing that no one is going to see it and that you can shape it later.”

I can personally relate to this because I as well feel that a first draft is very similar to that of the beginning process and where the rest of the piece begins to take shape. Additionally, it is compared to a child where it is the beginning of life and anything you do can allow yourself as well as your personality take shape. Doing the first draft is essential because it allows you to list your ideas before doing the final and decide what should be cut as well as important ideas to be included.

Quote 2:

“Then on the following Monday I’d sit down at my desk with my notes and try to write the review. Even after I’d been doing this for years, panic would set in.”

This is very relatable to me when it comes to free writing. Personally, even though I have written many papers and pieces for class or even for myself I always tend to go blank and forget my writing style. Panic always tends to set in and I tend to procrastinate things. I would like to consider myself a good writer, however first beginning to write always comes as a struggle to me.

Quote 3:

“Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts. You need to start somewhere. Start by getting something — anything — down on paper. A friend of mine says that the first draft is the down draft — you just get it down.”

I believe that this is very true because whilst writing a draft it is important to not overthink it but instead to just write and see where the writing takes you. When writing, I believe just seeing where the writing takes you is important because it allows you not to overwrite nor overthink but just allows you to write the bare and important details.

Quote 4:

“I’m not going to be able to get the magic to work this time.”

As a student, when it comes to writing I tend to procrastinate my work a lot and leave them to the last minute. In doing so, I lose confidence in thinking that my work would get done in the time period it is due. While I am also rushing to get the work done it makes me lose confidence in the piece as well as writing it to my full ability because it is rushed.