Alisa and Sarah were great to work with. Communication with them was pretty good and came pretty easy. I learned a lot about the impact of reliability in this project. Unfortunately it was a bit of a negative version of that lesson, but still incredibly important. Moving forward with that lesson will definitely impact how I approach similar situations in the future. Our schedules weren’t exactly aligned but we still were able to meet and discuss important aspects of the project. Creating a budget limit after some of the details were established made us build awareness of a budget and the potential of that occurring again in the future, it also taught us about priorities of the contents of the show. Doing the prototype with Alisa and Sarah was a good use of the lab time, learning about timing, practicality and authenticity of the wall sealant gave us insight of what we can do for similar projects in our careers or even beyond that.
Author Archives: caroline
Working with Katie and Val went pretty well. We each had an open mind to each others ideas and contributions. For this problem I was a little nervous about being responsible for budgeting even though I wanted to try it. I had never done budgeting before so I went with a more familiar task, I took on the drafting. I’m still not a fantastic drafter but I was much more confident in what I was working on than I had been last semester. The deck break-up was pretty simple with minor custom pieces and choosing steel deck for the platform was new for me as well. The drafts weren’t perfect but it was good to brush up on skills from the first two drafting classes for example a simple idea of creating a curve on the deck to importing the logo image to the drawings. This project was a great opportunity to work with students I wasn’t that familiar with and to work with new and old knowledge.
I kinda liked working on this project, it was a good way to start the semester. It was simple and I liked the group I was in with Marissa and Will. We all had input to the project and had divided the work between us pretty evenly. With the first project we also learned about collaboration with other groups and maybe some form of negotiation. The communication within and with other groups somewhat prepares us for what meetings will be similar to.
Now that I’ve reviewed my midterm it seems really ridiculous that I had my project on two different files, I have definitely learned and moved on from that. My midterm shows that I still struggled with lineweight a lot and that my dimensioning needed practice. I didn’t dimension what was important because I wasn’t sure of what to dimension. The information I showed wasn’t important at all. The lineweight and linetype were also inadequate, I’ve made some progress I believe since then but it still is a little bit of a struggle. My geometry was off also, mostly in the areas of the seating because I didn’t pay enough attention to it as I should have. When plating I was missing borders, the title block was off and the font for the dimensions wasn’t consistent, I have been working on improving in all of those listed areas and it hopefully has made some progress.
I struggled with assignment 9, this one turned out really bad. When using the X-REF on the assignment the image would erase the work I had done whenever I changed the opacity. Also for a majority of the time I spent on the assignment my midterm project was not able to be found as an X-REF. In the beginning when all the X-REFs worked my midterm project fit almost perfectly when it was scaled properly, it was some 64ths of an inch off, which I was pretty proud of but then it stopped working for me. I ended up becoming very frustrated and disappointed in the final product.
For assignment 8 the drawing printed out in weird colors, I still have an issue with that happening.The original layer of the platforms appeared as work/ construction lines and is a continuous stripe through the border of the platforms. Lineweight and layers seemed to have improved slightly, and my geometry was looking better. When plating the platform construction drawings they weren’t aligned correctly and some of the dimensions were not clear.
Using X-REF in assignment 7 was kind of cool, I really liked tracing the New York skyline for homework. I was a simple file that could be imported into a drawing and I found it to be a good assignment. I don’t remember any feedback about it, but who could mess up tracing. It was a good homework assignment for after the midterm.
Assignment 6 was a struggle for me, I should have asked how a screw is typically drawn in AutoCAD before doing the assignment.I spent so much time trying to figure out how to do something much more advanced than what I was supposed to be doing. It was cool to figure out how to draw a helix but it put a restraint on continuing the rest of my project. With trying something new and not knowing where to go from there can be so frustrating. The other blocks were so much simpler to make.
For assignment 5 I struggled mostly with how the dimensions should have been displayed and line weight. Some had overlapped or intersected and made the drawing messy and unclear. Laying out dimensions has gotten easier to apply to a drawing since the assignment, and with the practice of applying it to more complex drawings. I also may have messed up on some of the geometry, it’s still a work in progress. At that point in time I was able to grasp the concept of pictorial views, I just needed some practice with dimensioning and lineweight.
On assignment four plating still seemed to be a problem and the auxiliary views were unclear. In the layout not all the views were in the right orientation and some had overlapped. The auxiliary views weren’t supposed to be visible with the ground plan and the dimensions were missing. I’ve worked on orientation and displays in viewports, there has been some progress with the practice of each assignment.