In Honor of Black History Month
The African American Studies Department
THE TIES THAT BIND: LOVE & LEADERSHIP
Celebrating the Words of
James Baldwin, Lorraine Hansberry & The Obamas
BLACK HISTORY MONTH NATIONAL READ-IN
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2017
2:30 – 4:30 PM in Namm 119
(On 2/15/17, the college will follow a Monday schedule)
EVERYONE IS INVITED TO PARTICIPATE!
You may present your own writing, present from any reading or speech that you love, or present from readings of the celebrated authors, which we will provide.
- You are welcome to bring your class to the event.
- If your class does not meet during the event, please consider offering your students extra credit for attending or participating in the event.
THERE ARE SEVERAL WAYS TO PARTICIPATE:
• Just show up and enjoy the readings!
• Just show up and ask us to provide a reading to you when you arrive. You may then sign up to read to the group.
• Let us know ahead of time that you would like to present a particular reading from any of the individuals being celebrated or from another writer or speaker, INCLUDING YOU!!! If you know ahead of time that you would like to present at the Read-In, please e-mail Dionne Bennett, at email@example.com. (When you e-mail me, please let me know if you have a reading you would like to present or if you would like me to find a reading for you. If you let me know that you will present ahead of time, I will put you on a list of readers for the event. However, anyone who attends the event and wants to read will be included. )
Please note that the presentations of the readings are informal so we encourage you to please participate and do not worry about impressing anyone! We just want to hear your voice as we gather to celebrate literature, language & Black History Month! However, if you feel the need to do a very dramatic reading of a work, please DO indulge yourself and feel free to be as dramatic as you’d like!