Ethics in Graphic Design Part 2

2A) In the past, when a project is being constructed, I did use another creative’s work but as a reference and inspiration. This was supported after the project that was done by myself was submitted to the page before. In question and answer form, creative work from another artist is used. However, did I give the artist credit? The answer is Yes in italics to the bottom of the image.

Before, when I did a rebranding to a beverage company, I rebranded a logo but gave credit to the previous logo designer for reference.. Also, any photo related graphic work, if an image is used on the outside, then credit is given. It’s an important and ethical task to do and websites like Pexels and Unsplash or freeimages to get stock images that are free to use by everyone. This important quote, from the AIGA article about photography, “Use of stock images avoids the many contractual issues that may arise when photography is done on assignment”. This demonstrates that when a project is done, in terms of photography, the images are free  taken by professionals and you have the right to use them and you avoid any trouble you can get into by using a random photograph in the internet that is not in stock  and evades a problem on getting sue for stealing an photo. You passed this important term to doing an unethical idea to use a photo without permission.

By giving credit to the original photographer or artist is the right consideration to using someone else’s work. The artist gives a connection to copyright is Jeff Koons. According to Jeff Koons, his work was matched with copyright strikes on similar photos. There was a case in the article, Rogers vs Koons Lesson 2 about a similar photo of himself with puppies. Although the photos looked the same, it still gave a similar approached that he used the inspiration without giving proper credit. It would’ve been avoided if his photo caption gave the name to the original photographer as support.

AIGA Use of Photography

Legalities 30: Jeff Koons and Copyright Infringement

Jeff Koons: A Retrospective' Opens at the Whitney - The New York Times

Jeff Koons art: The New York Times

2B) Mr. Fairey was sued by the Associated Press back in 2009 for copyright infringement for using a photo by Mannie Garcia, a photographer in the AP. In my thought, that this person (Failey) is recreating a photograph in design but did not know that this photograph was copyright by Garcia. This definitely relates to writing papers in any subject, when you found a reliable source, then, you have to give credit to that source. In photographs, best thing to do is give credit to the owner. The New York Times article quotes, “The parties also agreed to share the rights to make posters and merchandise bearing the image, of Hope. Mr. Fairey gave his response that he did not make or plan to have the image in profit. In a thought of this, Mr. Fairey wasn’t known a lot to artists but still a warning to give credit in next advice. The main idea is give credit in every research you go through or found according to the copyright rule. Overall, I think it would’ve been resolved only if he checked to make sure it wasn’t a plagiarism strike.

Fairey Copyright Case

Copyright Fair Use and How it Works for Online Images : Social Media Examiner