Professor Christo | OL50 | Spring 2021

Class Introductions

Hello there!

My name is Robert Christo, and I’m going to be your professor this semester. I’m excited to get started (hopefully you are too) even in this challenging time, and I’m looking forward to working with each of you as you continue your architectural education. 

First a little bit about me… I’m an architect (you probably could’ve guessed that). I grew up in Boston. I went to college in Chicago, graduated in 2010, and moved to Brooklyn in 2014. I currently have my own firm with my design partner Shaad Zaidi (who also teaches at City Tech). And when I’m not working (or quarantining…) you can probably find me on a basketball court. 

Now, a little bit about you… Please introduce yourself to me and your classmates. You can do this by adding a comment to this post. You could include your academic interests, why you chose your major, what you enjoy reading, listening to, watching, and doing in your spare time, or anything else you want to share (include your pronouns, if you wish).

Before our first class, please add your introduction and read any comments to your introduction. Please also read your classmates introductions. 

Get to know your classmates! Reply to one of your classmates’ comments. Do you have something in common? Did you learn something? Be kind, and let’s have some fun. 

1. Javon Morgan

My name is Javon Adryan Morgan. I first became interested in architecture before starting high school. I’m familiar with the programs PhotoShop and SketchUp. I’m looking forward to expand my knowledge about architecture and different programs throughout this semester. Also, I am a soccer fanatic!

• Tasif Taher

Wow, we have a few things in common! I also am familiar with Sketchup, I used to play around on the software as a young boy. My favorite sport is also soccer!

• Robert Christo

Welcome back Javon! Looking forward to another great semester.

2. Tasif Taher

Hello, my name is Tasif Taher. My country of origin is Bangladesh, but I was born and raised in Queens, New York. As a young kid, I really didn’t know what I wanted to be. My career choices ranged from a Dentist all the way up to an Astronaut! In high school, I made the decision that I would like to pursue a career in Architecture. The reason I chose Architecture was because I realized my passion for construction and designing. As a young kid, I would be amazed by construction projects and something on paper, turning into reality. Honestly, I don’t read a lot, a bad habit which I have to change, but when I do read, I like reading books on life improvement and self development. Like many other kids from NYC, I listen mostly to rap and pop music. In my spare time, I like to learn new things, such as a software, or a skill.

• Robert Christo

Welcome to ARCH1231, Tasif. Glad you chose architecture. Going to space is overrated…

• Tasif Taher

So true, haha!

3. Gloriveht Ortiz

Hello! My name is Gloriveht Ortiz. I’m currently in my fourth semester taking the Bachelorette Architecture Technology major. My country of my Origin is Mexico, but I was born here in Bushwick, New York City. I really wasn’t sure what career to pursue so in my First semester of college, I did Nursing major but It really didn’t catch my interest. I decided in my second semester to branch out a bit more and try different major classes. The only one that I got interested in was Architecture. The reason why I choosed Architecture was because I realized my passion for working with construction (hand on work). When I was in High School I entered a carpentry workshop and that was an amazing experience I had. I made a box, chair, and spoon with my own hands using wood, and I loved it. As I grew up learning the architecture habit, I was taken under my dad to work with him concerning Interior construction. I learned a lot from him, and I am excited to further my knowledge of Architecture field.

• Chasity Nunez

Gloriveht that’s really cool how you found your passion. Working with a family member doing the same work you want to do is a great opportunity you get to learn a lot in and out of school. Just like you i get to learn in and out of school and its great for me too

• Gloriveht Ortiz

That’s amazing is nice to know we share something in common

• Gloriveht Ortiz

• Robert Christo

A student who is passionate about their craft. I like it!

4. Chasity Nunez

Hey everyone my name is Chasity Nunez, Chas is cool with me too. This is my third semester at City Tech working towards my Bachelors of Architecture. I always knew i wanted a career in a field like this because i was always into design, i was going to take a career in art but I didn’t find it as interesting until I discovered architecture. Currently I am working for a Construction company called MDG Design and Construction redesigning apartments for Section 8 housing and I find it exciting that we get to help people finally live better, its so important to me and I cant wait to learn more. On the side i enjoy drawing, watching basketball/football/baseball, listen to mostly rap and hiphop music and watching psychological thrillers. Hope we all have a great semester ahead of us.

• Robert Christo

Welcome back Chasity! Been a while

• Olena Petsyukh

Chasity that’s great that you help other people and enjoy what you do at the same time. I’m sure your current experience will benefit the career you chose!
      I believe one day we all will be able to make a great contribution in the field of Architecture.

5. Olena Petsyukh

Hi, my name is Olena. I was born and grew up in Ukraine.
    At the age of 17 I started to travel around Europe from time to time. The biggest pleasure for me was finding and taking pictures of constructions. I could spend the whole day just walking around the city and observing these evidences of human labor. Back then I could not even think that I could become part of it, I was just a fan until I moved to New York City. Surrounded by so many massive and diverse constructions, I developed passion for the architectural beauty of the city. This is the reason I decided to embark in the study of Architecture.

• Robert Christo

I learned to love architecture by walking around the city as well!

6. Asia S

Hello, My name is Asia. I was born in jamaica. I came to the US at age 11, lived in brooklyn for 2 years, moved to long island to finish middle school then went to high school. Then i moved back to brooklyn, took a gap year , then i attended City Tech. I enjoy art, anime, reading, traveling ,volunteering, hikes and pretty much everything peace and nature related. I chose architecture because i have always been interested in it , i wanted to learn more about design , so that i could learn how to design orphanage homes for kids in various parts of the world and also learn to design structures in my homeland.

7. Chyna

Hi, my name is Chyna bowman. I hadn’t really considered architecture before but I went for it for 2 reasons , the first being the fact that my dad does construction and I grew up seeing him do that, and on depending on what he was doing I would spend the summer helping him. When trying to decide on a major he recommended architecture and it’s because of that I decided to give it a try. The second reason is because I like being creative and that goes for pretty much anything whether it be in the form of writing or something that is more hands on. I find that architecture fits in with that so I guess you can say that sealed the deal. My hobbies is reading manga, writing stories, reading books, drawing, crocheting and I like listening to Kpop.

• Robert Christo

Reading books and drawing… 2 skills that are going to come in handy this semester!

8. Nisael Grullon

Hi Hi, my name is Nisael Grullon. Architecture came as a no-brainer for me. From a young age, I show a particular passion for building and creating things. This combine with the fact that my brother is also an architect cause me to follow architecture as well. I spend my spare time playing video games and watching anime.

• Chyna

Great to see we have some things in common I like anime and playing video games as well .

9. Eduardo Atiencie

Hello everyone, nice to meet you all before I start introducing myself. I hope you and your family are doing well in terms of health and staying safe. Architecture was always there growing up my mother buying building blocks at the age of 3 to playing Minecraft at age of 7. My love for Architecture is immense years went by I started to focus on reading the history of this career. I am passionate about drawing growing up I always did it, especially in class during my academic years. I would get my work done and just start drawing until it was time for the next class.

I look forward to getting to know you all just like I’ve gotten to know many of my past classmates.

Have a nice day!

10. Tylee Rivera

Hello to everyone my name is Tylee Rivera I was born here in New York, however my parents are from Mexico. I believe that architecture grew on me, when going to the city I would always admire the tall skyscrapers and imagine designing one. I believe then in 12th grade with a teacher I had, my interest grew so much more I would sit on my computer and zone out at the work that was given to us (drawing floor plans and replicating houses on Revit). I hope to better my abilities in drawing and in general just learn more.

11. Christian

Hello! My name is Christian/Chris. I’m now in my second semester as a Freshman at City Tech. I was born and raised in the Bronx and I’ve got a big family. Outside of drawing, I like music, cooking/baking, and watching Anime (+Asian Tv dramas) or reading Manga (like Japanese, or Japanese inspired, comics and graphic novels). I’ve always wanted to be an Architect so I hope I can get there one day with as little issue as possible.

12. Andrew Buchanan

Hello Good Afternoon Everyone,

My name is Andrew Buchanan and I have been enrolled a city tech for a couple of years now. My original major was Mathematics but I changed to Architectural Technology last semester. Since switching majors, I have grown very fond of the field. The best way that I could describe it is that it is like learning a completely new language. There are so many elements that make up architecture and I have been soaking in all of the new information that I have been getting. My first couple of years after high school were spent living in Saint Kitts and Nevis with my father. He is a land surveyor and I worked with him during my stay there. Although he is not considered an architect, I believe that his profession plays a significant role in the job of an architect. This experience helped me to transition over from my mathematics major to the architectural major. My expectation of this class is to acquire more knowledge on what architecture is about, how it works and why it is important. Furthermore, I expect to expand on my drawing skills. I am looking forward to getting to know you and all of my classmates.

13. Luis Rendon Vazquez

Hi everyone my name is Luis and I in Sunset Park, Brooklyn NY and my family came from Mexico but doesn’t have any background in construction or architecture. But that never stopped me from becoming one. However, this interest started when I was around 10 years old but stopped until it re-sparked after my junior year where I realize I wanted to do architecture because of the creative building and I enjoy how our designs can be put into reality and affect others, hopefully in a positive way. As to hobbies, I do like to stay active and dance to a lot of Hispanic dances. Oh and I like to listen to rock and alternative rock. And I am looking forward to learning more from this class and working with everybody.

14. Elan K

Hello! My name is Elan. I live in Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn and my parents are from Odessa, Ukraine. But when they moved, it was the Soviet Union, so im technically Russian. A few of my hobbies include playing many sports, but my favorite are hockey, handball and wrestling. I am a State Champion in a russian jui jitsu called Sambo back in 2016, but i have stopped pursuing that for injury purposes. I’d prefer having class in person, as i hate online learning and i get the full experience of learning with a physical class in front of me. But it doesn’t matter! When i become a successful architect in the future, i hope i use the knowledge i learn from this class to sharpen my performance in the architecture world in the future!

• Elan K

Why did it post twice?

15. Elan K

16. Alysse Cora

Hello, I’m Alysse Cora. I am currently 19 , a freshmen in my 2nd semester at City Tech. I am majoring in architecture. I first got interested in this career choice because i like to draw and sketch things when i was little. I also love art and to me architecture is a form of art , but in the form of buildings and blueprints. I’ve been studying architecture since my first year in high school and have bought much equipment such as an architecture desk and have done some projects myself. I am really excited to take this course because I believe it will with my drawing abilities and improve my knowledge of architecture.

I am also invested in art and love to draw and paint using different types of medias such as pencil, acrylic paint, and oil pastel. I evens started my own youtube channel to help my practice and to continue doing what I love. I also like to sing, write, and listening to music. I like watching cartoons and crime shows. Nice to meet everyone.