Staged or not?

In 1936, there was an enormous controversy. This controversy was surrounded by Robert Capa’s, Death of a Loyalist Soldier which many labeled the greatest war photograph of all time. The photograph showed a soldier being shot and Capa capturing this moment. The controversy was either this photograph was staged or not.  I believe that this photograph was staged. After observing both pictures, there are huge differences. In Capa’s photograph, it doesn’t seem authentic. Not only did they fall in the same spot but their postures (leaning) is very different. I’m very conflicted in picking either it is staged or authentic. For one reason, it can all be a coincidence. And photographers just as Robert Capa risked their life to take these photographs. Another reason is the facial reaction and his leg beginning to bend as he is getting shot. The man, Federico Borrell Garcia, was dead at the battle where Robert Capa was present. Lastly, I think that the arguments about whether this photograph is staged or authentic is irrelevant to the message that war photographs represent. These photographs are used to show the ghastly and gruesome images of what the soldiers went through during the war. These photographs will then have an emotional impact on those who view them.

This entry was posted in #studentHW. Bookmark the permalink.