HomeWork #2 Pulp Fiction -Yahir

The opening scene that I chose was Pulp Fiction’s. This movie being one of Tarantino’s most  recognizable and impactful starts out with the two characters Pumkin and Honey Bunny eating breakfast at a diner. Pumkin then gets the idea to rob the place when he realizes that robbers never rob restaurants. Honey Bunny his girlfriend becomes excited with the idea and soon the two pull out their guns and rob the place.

I find this opening sequence so interesting for many reasons. The first is that it just kind of starts abruptly. Tarantino stated numerous times how he did this on purpose to set the tone for the non-linear narrative of the film. The two after discussing plans to rob the place seem to start getting really turned on by each other by the idea of the act.  In the end of the film we see the continuation of this scene and what proceeds after it and it ties the end of the narrative of the movie.  This scene is very non conventional like the rest of the movie and immediately dives right in to the story. We don’t really know much about these two characters, but it’s sort of explained as you see their dialogue unfold. We get an idea about who they are and what they do based on their plotting of their next heist. After some convincing Honey Bunny agrees to rob the diner and the two engage in a passionate kiss before they rob the place.

Another interesting thing to point out is the reasons for the non-linear narrative in the story. In this opening scene we get Pumkin and Honey Bunny’s perspectives but when we catch up to them later in the movie we get the overall perspective thanks to the other characters later introduced.

1 thought on “HomeWork #2 Pulp Fiction -Yahir”

1. I absolutely love this film and especially the opening scene. I love how in depth they go into why robbing restaurants is a much smarter idea than liquor stores. They talk about how the manager doesn’t care and how the workers wouldn’t take a bullet for the owner and the customers are just eating with their wallets filled with cash. This scene doesn’t play a large role into the film which confused me the first time I watched it but after the 3rd and 4th time I learned to appreciate Tarantino’s master piece.