HW#2: Food and Coffee in the Civil War

Amena Miah

Sandra Cheng

Art History 1100

12 October 2017

Food and Coffee in the Civil War

If I had a choice to give up food or coffee, I would give up coffee because food will always keep me full. Coffee can make me really hyper at the beginning and then really drowsy. I think it is disgusting that to kill any bug in their food, they would dip their hardtack in the hot coffee. I don’t think that is safe at all because this means that they probably ate bugs with their food before. I don’t think their diet was healthy because it seems to me like they were having breakfast three times a day.

It is fascinating how the soldiers survived with coffee. They were energized by the dosage of caffeine they would get from drinking the coffee. I think coffee back then was their Redbull or Monster drink. It woke them up after long marches and tiring activities. Personally, I think that older adults are addicted coffee more because no matter how much hard work they do, drinking coffee will always keep them awake. It is understandable why they became addicted to coffee.

I thin that I cannot live without rice because I think that it is something I always need to eat at least once in a day and it runs through my family and many Asian countries. Rice just takes perfect with any side entrees and I know that consuming too much of this isn’t healthy, so people should limit themselves to having it once a day like I do.

This entry was posted in #studentHW. Bookmark the permalink.