HW #2: My reaction toward the civil war soldiers life

After reading and watching sources about the diet of civil war soldier I was able to have a deeper understanding of the life of a soldier during the period of harsh food sources and lack of people with cooking skills. I am being born in a period of peace and am given a life with full of advantage both in technology and living choices, so if I were to suddenly experience the life of a soldier I would either take a long time to get used to it or never. For the soldier to only have choices that you can count with your hands (coffee, hardtack, sometimes potato and meat) I think that they are very strong not by their appearance but their inner. I am not picky with my food either if it’s the veggies or the meat but if I were to be precise I’m more of a carnivore so in my everyday life meat is necessary. It’s not the protein in the meat it’s more of the taste I like. If I am not able to get some meat daily it would ruin my appetite for each meals.

This entry was posted in #studentHW. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to HW #2: My reaction toward the civil war soldiers life

1. Adam says:

The civil war era hardtack it was the army’s primary cracker. For both the North and the South. The army use to love that kind of stuff because it was very simple to made and inexpensive to produce it only require salt, flour and water. It not the solider diet this is a war you can’t type expensive foods. Because they always in the move and the only food that can last longer is the hardtack. The hardtack is very nutritious and last for so many years. Long lasting food was very important for the military because the armies always on the move. The soldiers didn’t care about how long does it take the hardtack to reach them the matter is how long it will storage at the bakery. The soldiers use to face so many difficulties because so of the hardtack could get moldy. This wasn’t the issue the live of the soldiers were very rough because some of them couldn’t survive because they’re not enough food that will keep them a wake. Soldiers body is very weak because their is No nutrition in their diet. The second primary source for the soldiers to keep them worms and awake is the coffee. Soldiers used coffee to dip their crackers to make it smooth to chew. It’s very hard for the soldiers to get ride off each of these because these the only two types of source left for the soldiers to win the war

For me I don’t drink coffee because it contains a lot of Caffeine that can keep you awake that’s what you mind think but if you have stomachache it can cause a lot of problems I don’t think coffee is very important to survive. The most important substance in this life is water because it contains hydrogen and oxygen these two bounds help the body to function. Water very important for the cell tissues and orange the water help our body to function. Water is the reason for us to survive and to exist. Water for me is the main reason for us to survive.

• james says:

First of all, I’m aware that these hardtacks aren’t expensive (I would never put that they were) and can be made with very simple ingredients, but due to the era food are scarce and the people at the backline the sanitary, who looks after the health of the soldiers at the frontline, have to think hard to make enough food for the number of soldiers for months. Second, “the soldiers didn’t care about how long does it take the hardtack to reach them”, I completely disagree on this since food is so important and rare many soldiers weren’t able to eat to the fullest of their diet. The soldiers actually care about how long does it take for the food to come. Your statements contradict each other with positive and negative sides as you said they don’t care about when would the food(hardtacks) come as long as the material last long enough but you then state that the soldier’s body is weak because of no nutrition in their diet and not eating enough. This article isn’t actually telling you about the cost of the food but is actually telling you that soldier’s diet choice is limited and they are happy that they have something to eat when food is hard to be prepared. The hardtacks are developed in a way so more soldiers are able to have something to eat its the same way of how donuts came to existence, made from leftover bread pieces!

2. Adam Ahmed says:

I agree with you the most food I eat everyday that is healthy and has a lot nutrition to build our body and to keep us going for the day. I don’t think coffee is necessary because the caffeine that has in it that can harm your body if you having stomach problems