Graphic Desing Principles I

Square Rectangle Pattern Final Project Going Green

Christopher Gonzalez

Graphic Design Principles I, AD 100 Professor Nicolaou

What I expected from Graphic Design Principles was work done on Photoshop or Illustrator rather than by hand. The work we have done seems to be the basis of Graphic Design. We focus on color, placement, size, shape, movement and repetition. All these subjects help enhance one’s precision and accuracy in their work. This will give one an advantage in future projects in any art based class. For example if one wishes to be a portrait drawer yet has difficulties with certain body parts such as the hands or lips, perhaps the length of arms one can improve on proportions, color and value. This class helps one learn to manipulate their work to make it theirs entirely as to work for them, give off the message they intend to send and use themes without having the theme overshadow the work itself. For example the focal point has to be in control. The negative space is not to be stronger than the intended focal point.

In my experience in this course one finds connections between subjects of art and real life. We have done many projects that focus mostly on focal points and when introducing my work to the class I too felt like a focal point for the class’s attention was on me as I spoke. Projects we have done so far involve focal point and color, perspective and rhythm through the manipulation of repetition and movement . We learned terms such as chiaroscuro which is a high contract between light and dark. One learns
to be more observant when it comes to design. This helped me to critique my own and other’s works to find aspects that may need improvements. In order to succeed in design one must understand their strength and weaknesses in order to improve.

In any form of art one is truly finished when there is no room for improvement. We practice and learn from our mistakes to improve in our work whether the problem be draftsmanship or color. This class is not just about design but a life style too as it helps build personality in a professional persona.