Wednesday-2/27/19

Intermediate & Advanced Fashion

Today I gave students a quick review at the end of class on the fabrics lesson I taught the week before the week long break. Most students had forgotten a lot of the terms we had discussed in the lesson, so it was good to go over it again with them as a group discussion. Doing this quick review discouraged me a little about my observation coming up tomorrow. I kept thinking what if students don’t participate as they did today?  

Beginner Fashion

Today my mentor gave me the opportunity to practice teaching my observation lesson with her beginner class. The lesson was on fabrics and seams.  I did some modifications in a few areas being that they don’t have the same prior knowledge as the intermediate and advanced class. To be honest, I did a lot of improvisation as I taught this lesson since I was not expecting to practice with them.  I didn’t have any printed out handouts. I only had my slideshow presentation as a tool. However, the lesson turned out great! The way I improvised and made it relatable to the students really had them intrigued and enabled them to give me all their attention as I was teaching. The students seemed very interested in what I was discussing and the majority were really participating.  Since I didn’t have any handouts, I used the smart t.v. as a handout for them to come up individually and do each part of the assignment. This really helped to keep their interest, interact, and be attentive to the lesson. After completing my lesson, I heard the students say how fun the lesson had been and how much they really enjoyed it. Doing this practice run, really helped me feel ready and enthusiastic about my observation.