Wednesday-2/13/19

Intermediate & Advanced Fashion

Today I had the opportunity to teach the class a lesson on “Fabrics & Textures” which will serve them to make fabric choices for their “Vibrant Birds” project.  After reflecting on my performance as well as speaking to my mentors, there were a lot of things I noticed I can improve on for the future. The first thing I definitely need to change was the program I used to create my lesson presentation. I used the online program “Powtoons” which, afterwards I realized is mostly intended for showing short videos instead of an actual slide presentation. While I was giving my lesson, I was limited to the amount of control I had with the slides because information was playing as if it were a video. For future lessons, I must use a simpler program such as google slides or microsoft powerpoint. Here’s the video I created for the lesson:

https://www.powtoon.com/c/gpNPxaPK3UZ/1/m

Other improvements I need to make are:

• Spend more time on “Do Now” and thoroughly explain each fabric swatch and why they are different.
  • Give every student a handout even if it is a paired activity in order to avoid unequal participation and workload.
  • Ask more questions throughout the lesson to make it more interactive and have students more intrigued in the lesson.
  • Time management: make better use of the entire class time. Spend a little more time on lecture and going over all the information.
  • Do a more in-depth check for student understanding at the end of the lesson.