Self Evaluation of Internship   #7

Since this job is primarily a remote job I have been able to attend a lot of conference calls both through video and phone. I remember my first conference call that was through the phone primarily and I was so stunned to have met such an amazing group of people. One of the main mentors that I have met since starting this internship is Giavanna. She has been such an amazing help and I have been in such good standing because of her. She has spoken of me in a high manor and also has gone out of her way to support my actions and decisions. She in fact is the person who is in charge of the Mentorship for interns But she also plays a huge role in the magazine itself being an editor and someone who organizes much of the work done at Luxe Kurves.  I know that since the internship I have been able to count on her for anything! Its been great to have someone explain anything that I am not sure of in regards to my role as an intern. She has also been keeping herself posted by checking on me and others as we work with other members of the Magazine asking for feedback for our benefit for our evaluations. I know that in the end, Giavanna will provide an honest and well-informed student evaluation for me to grow from and I’m excited to hear what she has to say!

Following Guidelines with Magazine #6

I believe I have been taking action and giving my all in this internship. I know that I have a lot to learn and to continue to grow into but one of the things that I am sure about is that I have been provided with an opportunity to see and feel what it’s like in the real world when it comes to graphic design. One of the things that I have had to really dive into is the Restrictions that have been provided for me to obey. I’ve always been given much of my freedom to do whatever it was that I wanted to do while having school projects. In this internship, I have had to pay close attention to certain images used, and even fonts. I’ve had to stick to identity guidelines when it comes to colors and fonts. It’s been a good experience and being with this magazine company has thrown me into the world of the internet and social media. I am someone who has never been used to or a huge advocate for the social platforms that have been taking over our world. But being with this internship has allowed me to understand that in order for me to grow in the field I have to be up to date with everything in the digital world which most definitely includes social media. I’m thankful for this opportunity. 

Process of work #5

Every Graphic for me requires me to contact a team. Every single graphic gets feedback and is discussed with a team. Unfortunately, I can’t really show an example or express specifically what we work on. It does involve getting research on the topic of the month which was about men’s Health and the LGBTQ community. What happens is they give me a brief and I have to explore my options and also pay attention to the magazine’s overall identity so they are always represented and people know that the graphics are made exclusively by the Luxe Kurves team. I keep their Identity in mind and also try to express exactly what they want to be heard and read. I’ll create the graphic and then I’ll send it off to the woman who is in charge of marketing the graphics across social platforms. She then sends it to the Creator of the Luxe Kurves to get feedback. I’ll then receive the feedback and then I’ll make changes and update and then it’s off for the world to see. It’s a very respectful environment and I am very happy to get feedback on what’s best for the graphics and the magazine. 

Update on skills learned #4 

I have learned a lot from this internship. I have been able to strengthen my skills in Graphic Design. One of the main things that I do at Luxe Kurves is to make graphics that are very informal. It’s a job where I have to research and find statistics for our monthly topics. For the month Of June, the graphic team has been creating both LGBTQ and Men’s Health. It’s been a good experience finding ways to incorporate facts and survey statistics into graphics and also be able to showcase what Luxe Kurves supports. We have learned about always sourcing all of our images and quotes so there is no form of plagiarism. Since this is a remote internship I have a lot of time to work on my assignments. Right now I have to research and brainstorm for a piece I will be writing for the month of July. I also have to create on a weekly basis 2 graphics. The schedule is pretty set! 

Luxe Kurves Environment #3 

The culture at Luxe Kurves is very laid back and comfortable. Luxe Kurves is a remote magazine that has a team across the globe. With different time zones and different temperatures, Luxe Kurves wants members to feel comfortable and honest. I’ve attended more phone call conferences than in video Conferences. It is something that I got used to very fast. When we do voice calls we have to respect each other’s decisions and also allow others to communicate and respond respectfully. The main goal of any video call or phone call is to communicate ideas and also listen and provide feedback. Another form of communication is the edits! When we hand in an article we are given feedback and edits to correct our writing and then hand it back in. We use google docs which for the team is the easiest way to communicate when it comes to the articles. This job consists of always being able to be on the phone. Even on weekends, this team is working! They are very dedicated and willing to speak at whatever time is necessary. As an intern, I too dedicated my time to provide as many hours needed. It’s a comfortable and very time manageable environment where I can work and feel comfortable. 

Internship Job Role #2 

In this Internship, my position is called a Junior Contributor for Lifestyle and Beauty. I am also a part of a team of Marketing Strategists and designers. My role is to write and create articles and graphics to help get Luxe Kurves messages across and to keep people coming back for more. My Mentor/ manager’s name is Giavanna. She is an Editor at Luxe Kurves and she manages all interns as well as new hires. I found this internship on internships.com and I had a phone call interview At the beginning of May. It was a well-rounded interview that lasted more than an hour. I was happy to question and comment on what Luxe Kurves meant to me and why I wanted to join the team in the first place. It was great! Giavanna asked me questions that I felt I answered very well. I did my research on the Magazine and read most of the latest articles that were written by the team members. It was one of the best interviews I have had so far. One of the questions I had that I felt I answered very well was “ what do you have that you could bring to the team, Carmen?” It was a question I was ready to answer. It felt great to be able to express the skills in graphic programs and also be able to tell her about my hobby of writing on a regular basis. It is 2 things that I continue to have a passion for. Giavanna heard my answer and was happy to hear what I had to bring. I am now hired and I am working hard to keep things flowing and overall trying my best to learn and give a compelling story both graphically and through words.

Introduction to Internship  #1 

I was hired for an internship at Luxe Kurves Magazine, this is an online magazine that is not too big but is definitely growing! There is no specific location to this company due to the fact that it’s fully operated remotely. With that being said this is a public company that is trying to grow and better show what there overall meaning and goals are.

Luxe Kurves is a magazine dedicated to showcasing the Kurves of all women out there in the world. Luxe Kurves wants to bring energy and boldness to women that see there Kurves as a curse. Not only that but they want to bring a sense of realism, they want women to understand that their physical appearance is not the only thing that defines them. They are always looking for bold stories and beautiful women all over the world to share their journeys and to motivate other women. The primary target audience is women of early 20s to late 40s. This magazine started taking shape in 2015 and has been up and running ever since.

I am glad to have been hired as a Jr. Contributor who helps this movement for women by bringing in three articles a month, I also was given the opportunity to work with a team of designers to help create bold beautiful graphics for them.

One of the articles that I read about Luxe Kurves was when they first came out with there print edition of a magazine that was created in 2018.  It was a celebration for the team and the founder Brande who created  Luxe Kurves and dedicates her time and energy into making it a well established Magazine.