Journal Entrys

So my Internship lasted for 8 weeks and then Load out

Prior to internship:

Was currently working on another show and asked the set designer if I could split my time between the shows. They were not happy about it but they allowed me and I got approval from chip before the start.

1st week (2/15-2/21)

I got the hired! yey!  I also got the script and went to the production meeting. I met everyone and realized that the director is a professor at City Tech (what a small world!). I was very nervous and unprepared. I didn’t get the script till the night before so I haven’t had the time to read it. I am also very nervous because I this is the first time doing theater professionally without the school being connected. Things went well, everyone was happy to have me and I represented myself very well. I was able to contribute in the meeting relating to themes they were discussing.

2nd week (2/22-2/28)

Now I have read the script. it was dragging through the first part but the second act I was hooked. I created a rough draft of a prop list and high lighted the props (and dressing for the show). Nicked Called me to let me know some stuff they had and to check in with me. He also reminded me that I will need get rehearsal props soon. Knowing that I just cam aboard he gave till the second week to procure them

3rd week (3/1-3/7)

Rehearsals started at Art New York. Because of the late start in this project I am just now shopping for rehearsal props. I created an official list on excel listing props, page number, bought-borrow- or rented, Line in the script and notes. I made a print out of  it also emailed the producer, stage manager and Director to ensure I had everything  and if they wanted to anything to add. I also created a spread sheet for my budget. A professor of mine suggested I make two labeling one as estimate and actual. I also hitting up people seeing what they have, seeing what I have to keep cost down. I have till Sunday to submit my work

4th week(3/8-3/14)

I gave all the Rehearsal Props and figured out storage with Nick and Art New York. I finally met the Stage Manager for the first time. we met early and discussed logistics. I gave my deadline for changes.I also sat in for rehearsal. It was very beneficial because I could see how they were interacting with the props. This helps me because I can better choose or alter the props that are better suited for this project.

5th week (3/15-3/21)

I am currently struggling with trying to find the right wheel chair. I am also realizing that director is not knowing what she wants exactly so I keep asking questions to better try and understand her wants, its making the  situation difficult and stressful. I went to Cold spring to price out some things and look for dressings.  I also been talking to scenic designer. Since I am currently lost on time period I am reaching out to the scenic designer for guidance. he was a bit lost as well. he said focus on transitional periods between the 40’s and 50’s. I also went to a few more rehearsals. I am also getting   lighters and cigarette cases online and in person.

6th week (3/22-3/28)

So same as last week nothing is changed. I been bringing in the actual props as I get them for a day so the actors know how to use them and what they actually look like. This is very important because majority have a disability.

7th week (3/29-4/4)

Tech Week is next week So I am prepping for it. I am making check lists, making sure I am organized as possible trying to balance school work and another show. I was just really nervous because I want as little problems as possible.

8th week (4/5-4/9)

I was literally shopping till the day of load in. I packed up my moms car. she drove down to the city and did load in. The week was long. I was prepared for it which was good. I still need to do stuff and figure out the newspaper. I ended up figuring it out Thursday night and printing it out Friday afternoon. I was standing for hours hot waxing sheets together and finished by 2 pm Saturday. that’s 6 hours before the first preview.

Load Out 5/11

Load out went really smooth. I got my stuff out and organized and help other crews. I got a friend to help me out.

During the show I was called a couple of times to fix Lighters but other then that it was all good.

This entry was posted in Charles Bowden. Bookmark the permalink.