Learning Blog

Do not delete this page. It is your Learning Blog.

Create Posts for class assignments, internship experiences, failures, successes, or anything that informs your academic career at City Tech and beyond.

Choose Posts > Add New or edit the default post “Hello World!” to get started!

professional essay

Human Services Seminar

Christina McKay

HUS 1207

My name is Christina McKay. I was born in Brooklyn, but I currently reside in Queens. I am a senior at New York City College of Technology. I am pursuing my Associates Degree in Human Services. I plan to graduate, and continue my education to get my Bachelors Degree in Human Services. I am looking forward to a future in human services and I can hardly wait. Having two daughters it hard to maintain it all, but with support from family and friends I strive for a better future. I want to be able to provide for my daughters and me.

I decided to become a Human Service worker because I wanted to have an impact on someone else’s life. It was me being out in the world everyday that I realize that there are too many people out there that are in the need of help, and there is always room for someone else’s helping hand. I also wanted to give back to the community for the education I received while in these hard times. This is what made me come to the decision that I wanted to be a human services worker.  What I know in human services is that professionals specialize in the area of help that is needed. Because of poverty levels in the world the need for help is very cautious. There are many people that need help, and it will take more professionals to help get the job done. I will love to get that opportunity to get to do so. This profession will be a learning experience in addition to a helping experience.

My personal strength that will enhance my effectiveness for professional practice is that I am a people person. I love to listen, speak, and show respect to clients. My professional strengths are that I have been working with a HRA agency that gives me hands on experience to enhance my skills.  I am computer literate, and also I multitasked. I follow directions when told, and I am a very tidy person.  What I just listed is my strengths that will enhance my effectiveness for the professional practice.

I am a very kind hearted helping person.  As a child of six I can say that I will be the first in my family that will graduate from college. My family depends on me, through bad and good times. I interact with family, and friends, and try to give what knowledge I have to help them better there situation.

I would like to work with young teens ages 11-15. I think that with working with this type of minority the stakes of risk and communication becomes a problem at a time in their life at this age. I want to be a help to these young teens, by letting them  know that counseling is available, resources, and that the help is there when , and if needed. As a professional I want young teens to be more aware of their surroundings daily, Because of the problems they may face head on. Teens at this age face a lot, and sometimes may be to shy or even not comfortable enough to talk to someone. As a professional I want to be able to give some guidance or establish communication with one another.

From Graduation to ten years following I don’t know what I will be doing. I cannot predict if I will be here or not, but if I am I plan to use my professional skills to continue to help people in need. I expect to continue my career in human services maybe even get a Masters Degree in social work at a college I have not chosen as this time. I want to continue working with people, learning new skills, and pass my skills to upcoming professional.

In conclusion Human Services is all about the client. Clients help us know why we have chosen this profession in human services. With my understanding making a difference can start with just one person, and it takes another person to follow. I believe that if we all worked together as a   whole we can accomplish more to help asset people in the time of need.

1. Hello world! Leave a reply