Essay 1

What is expected in this essay?

In your essay, you should take a perspective on something we have read, and demonstrate its validity. In general, you state an opinion on the topic–a thesis–and provide supporting evidence for why it is a sound interpretation. You should have an introductory paragraph that introduces the topic, evidence and thesis. Each piece of supporting evidence should be explained in a well-organized paragraph of its own, drawing from the text and using summary, paraphrases, and quotes as needed. You should end with a concluding paragraph that summarizes your position. Your paper should be about 1000 words long and use MLA documentation style.

See the Purdue OWL for some more tips.

When is this due?

You are required to prepare a draft of this paper. It is due on October 1. Please bring a two paper copies with you to class that day. I would also like a volunteer (or two) to agree to share his or her paper with the whole class so we can practice giving feedback together. Please let me know if you are interested. In this case, I need the draft on September 30. The final paper is due on October 10.

Suggested Topics

Consider the role of women in the pieces we have read. Compare and contrast the Wife of Bath, Desiree, and/or Curley’s wife.

Are George’s actions at the conclusion of Of Mice and Men justified? Why or why not?

How are the themes of Robert Burns’ “To a Mouse” incorporated into Of Mice and Men? Does Steinbeck’s novel support the poem narrator’s assertion, “Still you are blest, compared with me!”?

Many of the characters in Of Mice and Men have dreams. Are their dreams helpful or harmful? Compare or contrast two or three characters.

If you would like to write about a different topic, please see me or email me.

This entry was posted in assignments, Essays. Bookmark the permalink.