Prof. M. Brown | COMD1127 - E038 | Fall 2022

Type Talk: Poetry Foundation by Pentagram

Instructions

Logos done by Pentagram’s Michael Bierut, for Poetry Magazine.

• Observe the varied ways in which the typography is used as the main component of the design/brand id for the Poetry Foundation.
  • Do you think the overall concept works?
  • Which one or ones of these do you think works the best and why?
  • Observe the variety of ways in which the typography is the concept, illustration.
  • Comment using the correct design/typography vocabulary that you are developing. For example, the use of typography within the varied classifications (Serif, Sans Serif, Script, etc).

Due Date(s)

• This assignment is due by 11:30pm the night before the next class.

Resources

Print this page

1. Greg Wallace

I think the overall concept kind of works. It’s very easy to read POETRY in the incorrect direction ending up with PEROTY. Many of the concepts are legible, but the design itself is not 100% readable.

The custom icons page works the least to me because that O isn’t readable as an O. It looks like there could be a lowercase i inside the circle. I don’t think either version of the flags (the handheld ones or the country flags) or fancily engraved script work very well either. I like the bolder sans serif fonts as they contrast with their backgrounds well. Also the sign language version is an interesting way to approach accessibility.

• gregnazaire

I think that the design does work…if you don’t think too much about it, It does what its supposed to do look pretty and catch your eye. I personally think it was just made to be a statement specifically that anything can be art even literal words. Yeah but I’m still not impressed I still enjoyed the decorative fonts and hope we get to use them.

2. Timothy Miller

The concept works in terms of the type. It definitely easily recognizes in both serif and San serif types. The design of the word “Poetry” split into 3 rows, left to right is a unique concept but it can confuse the reader in terms up looking at it up to down. Now the one that works is the design that use sans serif type with scrabble design because its medium style is clear and by using a classic board game piece can use as an eye-grabber to a reader’s interest.

• MICHELLE MARTINEZ

I agree! The Scrabble design was actually one of my favorites! I think we forget how hard it can be to turn something as Simple as letter that need to be legible into some thing that is creative but can also communicate what it needs to.

• Erick Fiallos

Totally agree, depends on the design, especially If is written in script, it can be really hard to understand, but, is still very clear in most of the designs.

3. MICHELLE MARTINEZ

Poetry’s mission is to print the best poetry that comes in any style, genre or approach . I feel that the Novelty Typefaces best exemplifies this because it invokes feeling of storytelling, fantasy and imagination. Which leaves from for anyone to approach poetry however they may view it. In addition because of its one of the oldest literary forms the font gives it character that this dates back to an old time I feel that transitional and old style serif is a good way to connect back to that.

I think the overall concept works because we all know how poetry reads we see those letters and we know what it is. The letters in 3 columns was a good call. Because it forces the audience reintroduce it in a exciting way, revisits the idea that poetry isn’t some old people thing but instead creativity should always be attached to poetry.

4. Erick Fiallos

Yes, the concept itself is clear, and its message arrives in a direct and easy-to-understand way. The various ways in which typography is presented in poetry are very original and different from each other, however, despite their differences, the message remains very clear and mostly legible.
    Despite how much these concepts differ and their clear message, not all of them manage to convey their message, at first sight, this is due either to their typography, or their visualization, such as colors, shapes, etc. One of the most difficult for me to understand is the concept of flags, and to be honest, I only understood it because I had already seen the other examples and knew what it meant, it seems original to me, but it does not convey the message clearly, is a concept that is far from the rest due to its unusual typography. That example over there along with the concepts of poetry that are also written in code is the most difficult to decipher.

• Samuel Guzman

Hey Erick, I agree that not all are legible. Like the ones that are pictures instead of fonts. As you stated that you know what it was because of the whole concept is originated from the word “Poetry” so we know that the word or the idea is all the same.

5. Samuel Guzman

The overall concept works for the brand id. Poetry extracts different sentiment from it’s readers. The type faces, the design, the color, the art being used, triggers an emotional response. Thus having a connection and the immediate fondness and understanding you have towards art work. The one that works best out of these serif and sans serifs is the one with the gray background. The simplicity but the serif font is legible and appealing to the eye.

6. Brendan Montenegro

Yes, I do think the overall concepts work, very well actually. To me, poetry just like any art is subjective and can have many meanings in itself. The different logos represent just how many ways poetry can be interpreted. Some of them are a little too far out but for the majority, they all work. My favorite ones are the all-white one with the impressions, the scrabble one, and the keyboard one. The one with the person holding the flags does not work in my opinion if you just saw that without the other context it wouldn’t make sense. The use of serifs, sans-serif, and decorative fonts symbolize the many ways one may view poetry.

7. Kambandi

I think the overall concept does work pretty well because it’s easy to understand. Different kinds of poetry are used in their own way. I also think the one that works the best is the one that uses scrabble design because it is a famous game that most people would notice.

8. Alice Vidal

The concept of using typography as the main component of the brand identity for the Poetry foundation works really well. Poetry Foundation’s idea is that typography is also hugely significant to poetry and that “the way the words of a poem are arranged on a page has an effect on how they are read” There are many different types of fonts used with each having a different feeling to each other. I think if the word poetry is large enough it can work with any serif or novelty fonts. However, if you were to make the word poetry smaller, I think the design would work best with serif fonts.

9. Patty G

I believe they were trying to create a pleasing advert for as many consumers as possible. There is a design that will catch the eyes of all readers. Myself, I prefer clean and minimalistic adverts.Bold typeface and open uncluttered design will always draw my eye. I think they did a good job of appealing to the wide range of readers who would happen to come across any one of these.

10. Prof. Mary Brown

Nice discussion everyone!