Prof. M. Brown | COMD1127 - E038 | Fall 2022

Type Talk – History of Type

Comment Below

• What was one fact you found most Interesting and why

Due

Comment due posted day before class session 11:30 PM

1. Timothy Miller

The transformation of type from writing on stone to writing on paper. It seems difficult to get proper and clean writing on stone and the way romans did it, it literally felt like typing on Microsoft word. Now I think about it, Roman engravers must have been good artist because of how clean the lettering looks.

• Prof. Mary Brown

Yes, imagine the skill it took a crave and chisel into stone… imagine doing that for what might be considered pages.

2. Alice Vidal

Something I found interesting was that so many people would have the patience to sit and write so much. It seems like such a horrible job to write hundred of pages.

• Prof. Mary Brown

Alice, I agree. I don’t think I’d have the patience to sit there and write a whole book by hand.☹️

3. Alba

The thing i found interesting about this video was the way that Egyptians introduced this simplified method of communication to others and from there it progressed into something we now use on the daily and even made its way to the digital era.

• Prof. Mary Brown

Good point. Sometimes we don’t know the impact our ideas might have on the future.

4. Greg Wallace

One thing I find interesting is the idea that the technology behind moveable character printing and the printing press was relevant almost until the invention of the computer. All of the advancements between them were iterations on the printing press to make it faster, but the same basic principal didn’t change until we entered the digital era.

• Prof. Mary Brown

Yes. In the beginning it took a long time for the progress. By the time reached the 19th and 20 centuries, advances happened quickly.

5. Erick Fiallos

One of the things that most caught my attention is how in ancient Rome before they began to fold the papyrus, they carved what they wanted to say on rocks on monuments, it is incredible to think that people spent hours and hours, day after day and I want to suppose that for years writing on the rock until a man thought that it was easier to fold a papyrus and write small.

6. Brendan Montenegro

One fact I found interesting was just how far we’ve come in typography, from monks copying books in monasteries and abbeys to creating our own fonts on computers in the digital age. Typography is very overlooked but there is an immense history there about how we got the fonts today.

7. Samuel Guzman

The evolution of communication is rather fascinating. It shows how primed man kind was as our way of communicating keeps progressing up to this day. Room for improvement has been vital to our society. From drawings, pictograms, scrolls, to page turning, and now society has become a digitized environment. Everything and anything is now accessible where ever you may be. Essentially a library in the palm of your hand.

8. Lorena Galeano

Something I learned and found the most interesting is how lower case we started to use lower case letters. When parchment replaced papyrus paper people began to write smaller to fit more words on to one sheet of parchment. They started to use smaller letters creating lower case letters.

9. MICHELLE MARTINEZ

I love how our society is never satisfied and constantly has a how Can this be made better attitude about everything. This is how we constantly advance our society. Seeing how the printing press was revolutionary and even with the printing press, the question of how can we make this more efficient produced the mechanical press and so on. The most interesting thing to me was how the font size in digital was made bigger for our eyes to adapt to it. Because that was the best way to turn something great into something better. That someone would think of that is surprising to me. To add on, I love how they said, “ everything keeps changing in a digitalized environment.” Because now that we do have tablets and electronics to read on , we have the ability to get the most updated research. While back then, it’s was more like whatever was published is what you knew, until a new article comes out. But now we have it all in the palm of our hands and can have multiple sources that won’t take us a month to read , only a matter of minutes.

10. Kambandi

one fact I found interesting was how they use to write on stones before they had paper because you have to be good at carving also to have the time and patience to finish

11. gregnazaire

This video shows only a small part of the page of humanity, how it never stops, is never satisfied and will continue to keep going even if we make “simple” things so specialized that we need to train people in it. It’s one part interesting and one part terrifying. Imagine 500 years in the future what would type look like then? Would we even need it at that point?