Tracking and Type Alignment
We took a look at how to digitally control tracking and the different type alignment options. We were able to see what happens when tracking is too tight or too loose. We also took a closer look at what happens when we use justified text alignment. I discovered that one of the advantages of using justified text is that it can save space when a lot of text is used. We also saw a disadvantage that is awkward or bad word spacing that creates too much white space in paragraphs. Sometimes we see streams of this white space, which we call rivers (rivers of white space).
This is an example of what can happen when text is justified. The paragraph can end up with rivers–indicated by the red lines.
We have discussed the five families of type since the early days of the semester. Sometimes these are referred to as type categories. Make sure you learn to identify the differences.
Here is quick review:
Old Style: Garamond
- designed in France in 1615 by Jean Jannon (Claude Garamond was
- given credit originally)
- designed in a time when inks and paper were coarse and type
- technology was still rather rough
- relatively thick strokes and heavily bracketed or curved serifs
- emulated classical calligraphy
During our third class, we not only covered The History of Typography and the Five Families of Type, but we also reviewed Typographical Anatomy.
- If you missed the lecture on the Variation in Type and the Five Families of Typography, you can download the slides Variation in Type.
- We learned the parts of type of similar to our body parts. Download the Type Anatomy sheet and keep it handy to help you identify the different parts of letters.
- We watched several videos in class:
So, we’ve made it through the first week. Hopefully everyone is feeling a bit more relaxed and you’ve made some new friends.
Here is a recap of some of the topics that we covered the first week of class. Hopefully this will be helpful if you need to review.
- On Tues, Aug 28th we reviewed the syllabus, and if you need another copy, it can be downloaded COMD1127SyllabusFA18
- At this point, of course, everyone should have access to their City Tech email. This will be the way that I will communicate with you. Please check it at least every few days so you don’t miss any important information. Usually when I make a new post, you get an email notification.
- We viewed a few videos on the history of typography: