We covered three main topics during our last class that deal with spacing—tracking, kerning and leading. It is important to understand the difference between tracking and kerning.
- Tracking deals with the adjustment of letter-space which will affect entire lines or blocks of text. By adding tracking, the letter-spacing, which is the amount of space between the characters, will be increased or decreased. The goal is to have consistently even space between all the characters
- Kerning is often confused with tracking but kerning deals with the letter-space adjustments between a specific pair of letters. You only have to be concerned about kerning display or headline text. Certain letter pairs don’t fit well together, so the designer’s goal is to adjust the space so that letter-spacing looks consistent.
- Leading is the amount of space between lines of text. It is measured from baseline to baseline. It is important that line-spacing is not too tight or too far apart.
- All three of these—tracking, kerning, and leading—are important to the overall look and to make reading easier.
My name is Yan, major in communication design. Love gaming and working with the camera.
During our third class, we not only covered The History of Typography and the Five Families of Type, but we also reviewed Typographical Anatomy.
- If you missed the lecture on the Variation in Type and the Five Families of Typography, you can download the slides Variation in Type.
- We learned the parts of type of similar to our body parts. Download the Type Anatomy sheet and keep it handy to help you identify the different parts of letters.
- We watched several videos in class:
Hello my name is Masuma Chowdhury and I’m a freshman in New York City College of Technology. For those of you that don’t know me, I’m really into art and design which is why I decided to major in Graphic Design. I took art and advanced studio class for four years in High School. Below is a drawing that represent my first and last initials of my name. And with those initials I decided to draw two of my most favorite food which is chicken and pizza. I also drew makeup because thats my passion! I love doing makeup and it’s something that represent me. That’s pretty much it for now, I hope to get to know you guys through out the year!
So, we’ve made it through the first week. Hopefully everyone is feeling a bit more relaxed and you’ve made some new friends.
Here is a recap of some of the topics that we covered the first week of class. Hopefully this will be helpful if you need to review.
- On Tues, Aug 28th we reviewed the syllabus, and if you need another copy, it can be downloaded COMD1127SyllabusFA18
- At this point, of course, everyone should have access to their City Tech email. This will be the way that I will communicate with you. Please check it at least every few days so you don’t miss any important information. Usually when I make a new post, you get an email notification.
- We viewed a few videos on the history of typography:
My name is Elliot Vidalon, I’m a freshmen in city tech, for those who don’t know. During my break, I like watching anime and I do draw them whenever I like. I’m also very interested of the Japanese culture and funny thing is I kind of learn some Japanese words from watching anime but the interesting part is my ancestors are actually Japanese because my mid-name “Wuatanave(Watanabe)” is related to a Japanese name coming from my fathers name. Beside of drawing anime and others, I also like music and whenever I like a song and want to play it, I have a piano to practice with and using only my ears to find the right note of each part of the music. I don’t only play piano but guitar as well and I’m still kind of learning. Since I’ve master my piano skills, I have the advantage to play other instruments and therefore I chose the guitar.
Hello. My name is Saeef Gibbs. I am 17 years old. I love sleeping. I like playing video games, watching anime, eating and playing basketball.
Hi, my name is Khaleah. My hobbies consist of playing video games (mainly black ops) and watching horror & romcom movies. Lastly my favorite foods are fries and waffles.
Hello, this is Virginia Sanchez. I enjoy watching youtube, anime, and movies. I look forward to learning many interesting and fun topics while in Type and Media.
“Kendra” Photo Credit: Sidean
Hello, my name is Kendra. I’m an aspiring User Experience Designer. I love music, especially piano which I play, Ice-cream, and kitties. I love anything and all things purple.