Log #10 Ethics

When you’re a designer you have to think carefully of the choices your making and how it can effect your career. In many of the cases we studied in class there was moments when you had to think ethically what was the right thing to do. Especially when it came to plagiarism and stealing someone else’s work without permission. The diffrence of being a designer compared to an artist is a designer create for other people and artist create for themselves. As a designer who creates for others I have to ask myself do you want to be known as a designer who steals others works. I see buiness owners whi make t-shirts still images off the internet and put them on shirts. I think because it’s so easy to get an image off google people dont realize that just because its on Google doesn’t mean you have the rights to use it. Ive had a situation that i had to credit a designer for showing his artwork in like a school project. I’ve recently was put in a position to take on a project with a friend who designed t-shirts. the friend was’t aware that just because you found an image off the internet does’t mean you can use it. i explain to the friend that there stealing other people work. The outcome of the situation end up with me not helping them on the project because i didn’t want to steal otheres work or be accociated with stealing from other artist.

Through my studies at school i definitely understood the importance of creding your sources. the Fairey Copyright Hope Poster case is prime example its okay to get inspiration but theres no need to steal someone images. Even though the photo no longer looks like the orginal anymore because it been turned into an illustration. I feel as though a simple reaching out to Mannie Garcia team could of made a large diffrence in the case. Garcia team could have worked out usage agreement as well as copyright agreement for the use of copying Mannie Garcia photo. The reason Shepard Fairey is going through the because he hit with  copyright infringement because he didn’t get permission from the copyright holder to use the photo that already copyright protected . Just becuse you take inspiration and the photos no longer look like doesn’t justify you not the crediting source . demonstrates the importance of graphic designers being careful of the way they make there imagery to convey information or create an effect.

Shepard Fairey Hope poster

Mannie Garcia Photograph