Log #011 Virtual museum

For museum week unfortunately it was very hard for me to find a museum that was open up late enough for me to go in after my 9-5 job and internship. I opted into going to the virtual museum instead which I was thankful for. I was happy to have a chance to not miss out on anything with the flexibility of a virtual museum. The museum that I attended was the national museum of modern and Contemporary Art virtual exhibit on Korean Artists. The artwork that caught my eyes was Vindictive Spirits by O Yoon made in 1984.

Title: Vindictive Spirits

Creator:oh Yoon

Date Created: 1984

Location Created: MMCA (National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea)

Physical Dimensions: 69×462cm

Rights: MMCA (National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea)

Medium:oil canvas

This art piece is a scroll that is not completed but tells so much of a story and embodies realism. Yoon was able to create such a message with the scroll showing the struggle of war. For example, you can see skeleton soldiers leading the people and people who are behind are either losing their heads or are injured. This artwork showed just how tragic the Korean war was. In the scroll, you can see starvation and people missing their loved ones symbolized in the artwork. Even though it’s not a photograph you can still feel many emotions just by viewing the artwork. The virtual experience was very different than I expect it to be I thought that there would be more video content or audio sounds to add to the virtual experience. Instead, it was as if you were there at the museum walking through the rooms.

The next artwork that I found to be interesting was Do Bring Seub Back by JO Seub which was a Digital chromogenic color print. Captured memories can tell what words can’t describe Digital chromogenic is a prime example of that due to it showcasing The June Struggle for Democracy. The photo is a recreation of The June Struggle for Democracy protest that started because a student named Park Jong-Chul who studied at Seoul National University, was taken to the anti-communist detached office and was killed. In the death of Park Jong-Chul the official at the time which is Chun administration released a statement saying that Jong-chul hit the desk and fell. His death made citizens angry so they staged street protests demanding a constitutional revision of the direct presidential election system. A democracy-given country has a government system that ran by a majority and is favored for decision-making. I think the red in the photo symbolizes the pain of being ignored and not heard by their government. I feel like the blood symbolizes the pain in which the people have endured by tyhe stem because they don’t have a choice.

• Title: Do Bring Seub Back
  • Creator: JO Seub
  • Date Created: 2002/2012
  • Location Created: MMCA (National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea)
  • Physical Dimensions: 151×116cm
  • Rights: MMCA (National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea)
  • Medium: Digital chromogenic color print