A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Advice for the future – Extra Credit Assignment due 12/12

Assignment (due Thursday, December 12).

A) Imagine that you are invited to speak on the first day of MAT 1475, to give advice to entering students.  Write at least three sentences responding to at least one of the following, describing what you would tell them. [3 points]

1. What do you wish that you had been told at the start of this class, to help you succeed?
  2. Choose one topic in the course that is especially challenging. Identify it, and give advice to students trying to master that topic.
  3. What is the most important prior knowledge (not taught in the class) that you need in order to succeed?  Why is it important?

B) Respond to someone else’s comment.  Do you agree? disagree? Have anything to add? [2 points]

1. Bryan Pierre Louis

Bryan Pierre Louis
    MAT 1475
    December 3, 2019

– I would talk to the students and advise them to study mostly on derivatives and put their main focus on that. Derivative are going to be the hot topic in this class and I wish I was on it when I first started. If I was studying derivatives at the beginning of this course, I would’ve been more successful in calc. I want you to be ahead of the class as I was not, I fell behind in this class and I wish that didn’t happen, now I’m studying courses before that I have to master for the finals. I wish you well students and I want you to key in on the big vague topic, derivatives.

• Layla Flight

I agree, you can’t escape derivatives, as they are keen to this course. I too wish I put little more effort into studying derivatives prior and during the course. This is an important topic in majority of the exams you will take.

2. Layla Flight

Layla Flight
    Dec 4 2019
    MAT 1475

– I would advise students to study the foundations of limits prior to taking this class. Limits will be the discussion for the first two months of the course. Understanding the key points in limits such as if its continuous, undefined and if the limit exist or not. If those main topics are mastered you are sure to do well on the first exam. Study hard and practice with the free time you have , building your skills.

• Mehriniso Muhammadieva

– I definitely agree with you. I did not know limits and derivatives before taking this class and as the semester kept going I felt like I was really behind. Working on limits and derivatives in my free time did help me not fall off track in the class. Plus taking my time doing the webwork questions was a help for the exams.

• Christine

I totally agree with you. I was struggling understanding limits. Limits is really confusing if we don’t study enough and focus on it. Doing some webwork assignments help me figure out along the way.

• Sumya

I agree with you . If I knew I need derivatives and limits for the entire calculus 1 course I surely would have spent good amount of time on it so that now I wouldn’t have to go back to it and reteach everything.

• Michael Ojedele

I agree. Derivatives is the most important aspect of the course. You must be good with it and understand all the concepts to progress further in other topics

• Marvin

I agree Derivatives was no doubt the most chunk of the course. A lesson for future students going to take this course make sure you know limits and derivatives before taking this class otherwise, you set yourself up for failure as more new material is taught throughout the semester.

• Bryan Pierre Louis

I agree, limits are indeed a true huge topic in 1475 I believe that all the students who will take calculus will need to go over limits and it is one of the first topics. Definitely studying ahead of time and not waiting last min is huge too

• Bryan Pierre Louis

• Bryan Pierre Louis

3. Mehriniso Muhammadieva

Mehriniso Muhammadieva
    MAT 1475
    12/4/2019

– For the students that are looking forward to taking this class – you are going to be learning a lot of Calculus. The most challenging part will be limits and derivatives. If you got that part then the rest of the class should be easy to get through. I would advise you all to practice whenever you have free time and take your time to complete webwork questions because they will help with the exam. When you have no clue how to break down the problem feel free to go to tutoring or watching videos. This class will be challenging but spending at least 30m to practice questions will help you.

• Robert

i agree with the completion of ww. even though it barely relates to the problems on the exams (because some are actually harder then what you will receive on the exams) knowing more then the bare minimum on an upcoming exam is much better then going in anticipation the problems.

• Shauné Imani Faraday

I agree with you. The webwork questions also helped a lot as they were more challenging than the ones we practiced in class. By working in peers and tutoring we can help each other understand clearly which in turn will aid for the tests to come.

4. Christine

For me, Limits is one of the topics in this course that is especially challenging. I would advise future students, who will be taking this course, to study beforehand and have at least the basic understanding about everything that has to do with limits. Once Limits introduces in class, make sure to go over and spend good amount of time studying, doing more practices on Limits problems to familiarize with the concept whether the limit exist or not, undefined or continuous. There are some video resources to watch if needed and tutoring is pretty much available and very much helpful.

• ilana Berger

I agree with you. I find that limits are very challenging because it is a bit of an abstract issue which is hard to relate to anything else we have learned perviously. it is also a bit frustrating because it seems straight forward and simple, however ends up being quite complicated. I agree that it is important to do some review outside of class in order to master this subject.

5. Sumya

2) I surely found Limits to be the hardest. In order for you to handle that topic , you will really have to draw out the graphs so you can see where things are going since it is mostly imaginative . Surely doing plenty of practices will get you out of the hardship of it . In my opinion; once you pass limits, calculus gets so much more interesting. Derivatives and anti derivatives are basically like algebra that are little bit more challenging since it requires high level of thinking. I would advice to master your algebra skills, specially power rule and logarithmic rules because you are going to use them a lot while calculating derivatives and anti derivatives. One last suggestion, I would give new students is that do your webwork homework. Do not cheat yourself on it. Webwork problems are challenging but it prepares you for class test and final.

• Mehnaz

I agree with you because I also believe limits were quite difficult in the beginning and it requires a good understanding and graphing does really help. Having your Algebra skills on point is very essential and makes things a lot more easier to handle.

6. Nikita

In my personal opinion, a lot of Calculus 1 rests on limits and derivatives. It is essentially the backbone of calculus.

—–What do you wish that you had been told at the start of this class, to help you succeed?
    What is important to understand is that the concepts and topics we did in the beginning all led to a big picture where we started using them so solve word problems. You keep coming back to the topics you learned so you have to know them well. I personally didn’t realize, in the beginning of class, that these topics can and will be used in real life scenarios. It’s all a huge build up.

—-Choose one topic in the course that is especially challenging. Identify it, and give advice to students trying to master that topic.
    Derivatives and all the rules is a tough topic. I think people who are beginning to learn it first need to learn all the rules and then keep doing all sorts of problems to do well with this topic. It’s a huge topic in calc one that keeps coming back.

—-What is the most important prior knowledge (not taught in the class) that you need in order to succeed? Why is it important?
    Algebra is very important. You need know a lot of things from algebra to be able to solve or finish solving problems in calculus (simplifying and so on). So I think that good knowledge of algebra is essential.

• Shaquile King

I agree with you completely on all points. The word problems are very interesting like you said because it gives us a window into what calculus’s importance is in the real world. Its very important to understand all the topics because it can help us in many fields and real world scenarios. A poor understanding of these concepts could result in major loss of money and life.

7. Robert

What do you wish that you had been told at the start of this class, to help you succeed?
    -Do not miss class no matter what. The class is fast and goes through the lessons and an incredible rate. The moment you as a student feel like you’re falling behind start going to tutoring to make up for the pace. At tutoring you can work on the material at your own pace/to make up for anything missed in class.
    WW may seem tedious to do, however it actually is an easy 15% to your final grade that could sway a failing grade to a passing grade.

• Darren Rohitsingh

I am in agreement with you; the classes do go by very quickly indeed, so one has to manage the time prudently and get help where necessary (such as the tutoring you mentioned) in order to keep pace with the various topics. Webwork does play a key role also and provides an opportunity to practice questions whilst providing the added bonus of 15 possible points which is a substantial amount in order to boost your grade.

8. Michael Ojedele

I found limits and derivatives challenging, especially limits. Limits is really challenging and also involves graphing so you need to be good in it by practicing and practicing and also asking questions and going for tutorials. I will advice a new student to study mostly derivative, there is no way you will pass the course without knowing derivatives. Derivatives comes almost in every topic in the course. So if you know about derivatives, i feel you will be fine in the course.

9. Shaquile King

3. What is the most important prior knowledge (not taught in the class) that you need in order to succeed? Why is it important?

I think the most important piece of knowledge I needed before taking this class was why calculus was important to my field of study. Getting a clear idea of how the topics covered in the course directly relate to your field of interest will make learning them enjoyable and will motivate you to do the work. This is important to me because its makes studying topics in the course less torturous when I know having a deep understanding mathematics is vital to having expertise in my field on interest.

• Nikita

I agree. It would be great to know that the things we learn right now would end up being used for real life scenarios (even everyday life events) like optimization. One day if you own a house, you literally can use what you learned to build fencing and not spend extra money from material you don’t need. Or like in your case, you need it for your future career. Important stuff.

10. Shauné Imani Faraday

A)
    1)One thing that I would have liked to be told was to seek help especially for Webwork. Sometimes there are issues with the programming itself and you need to ask for help to ensure you are correct or need a proper solution to the question at hand. Attend all workshops and go to office hours if you need extra help. Even ask class mates.
    ASK QUESTIONS WHEN YOU NEED HELP.
    2) Related rates are veryyyyy hard. You need not only to know how to apply the derivatives correctly, but also you need to visualize the question at hand to fully comprehend what is being asked. to master this topic take every thing piece by piece and distinguish between what is given and what you need to find in order to solve the question.
    3) Remember all formulas from geometry ie volumes, areas as these make an appearance in related rates.

11. Mehnaz

2)I would most likely talk to students about derivatives and how important it is to master and conquer the topic as this topic reappears almost throughout the semester. Being able to have a strong understanding of it really helps and it makes a lot easier in the long run. Comprehending the foundations/buildup of derivatives prior to taking the course would definitely help you majorly. I would really suggest students to practice a lot because the course itself isn’t very easy and when it comes to certain topics a lot of practice is essential. And lastly getting help when required and doing the webwork homework. When you realize you are struggling with certain questions on webwork because some can be very complicated it’s beneficial to go to tutoring and the workshops provided and taking advantage of the resources available.

• Hongda Ou

I agree with you. Starting from Chapter Two, what we have learned in each chapter involves derivatives. If we do not have a good grasp of the derivatives then it is difficult for us to learn calculus 1 well.

12. ilana Berger

my advice for future students is that they review their previous math education. there is a lot of algebra, trig, and rules which we learned in previous classes. one item which came up a lot was using radians to evaluate equations. it is important to be able to know how to simplify equations correctly which is from previous math classes in order to make be able to find integrals and derivatives

13. Darren Rohitsingh

The topic in the course that I think is the most is challenging is optimization because it requires more in depth analysis before you can even begin the problem. For example, with derivative and anti-derivative problems, the concept is fairly straightforward and similar, but with optimization there are many different variations in the problem – what exactly are we trying to optimize and with respect to what other parameters? Optimization problems require greater scrutiny – one has to carefully read and understand what the problem is asking before attempting an answer.

14. Hongda Ou

1.What do you wish that you had been told at the start of this class, to help you succeed?
    It is very important to be late or absent.If you have question, you should ask your professor or math tutor after class. On the other hand, I strongly recommend you to watch patrickJMT’s channel . His channel has lots of video about Calculus. He directly tells us the method of solving problem. He helps me solve many calculus questions. in addition, you can use symbolab.it is a math website. When you type some calculus questions(not all questions), you can get detailed answer key. Then, You’ll know how to do your question.

• Marvin

wow, I agree I wish I had known about specific youtube channels or helpful math websites before the beginning of the semester that can help solve and explain Calculus. Calculus is a tool you will need in the real world so take it seriously.

15. Matthew Schwartz

1
    Be strategic about your studying and test-taking. It is inevitable that certain topics will come to you more easily than others. Learn what these topics are so that you can stay familiar with what you’re good at and spend a little bit of time each day studying what you struggle with, so that when test time comes around you can minimize those weaknesses.

16. alejandro dominguez

i agree with Omotola10 that limits are very confusing to understand when there first introduced. especially, the limits that talk about infinity . limits are the topics that need to be understand thoroughly since they will be part of the following topics and problems .also, i agree that derivatives have a important role in calculus.they come as simple when their introduced .however, they will be apart of other topics that are going to make them much harder to understand. these are topics that need a lot of tutoring and practice.

17. Marvin

1)What do you wish that you had been told at the start of this class, to help you succeed?

If I was told on the first day of class, on what to expect in this course is Attendance in class is very critical because if you miss even one day you are most likely one step closer into failure. Next, Expect to have a lot of Homework in this class especially with Webwork. Finally, make sure you have good studying habits otherwise you will be most likely be thrown off track so study previous math classes before taking this course you will need it in order to progress forward.

18. Alejandro dominguez

1. I wanted for someone to tell me how orginize courses well enough in order to study for the exam effectively. The hardship that i seen is how to put time in studying the topics becuase i always had trouble to put effective study time.