instruction manual analysis

I’m doing my manual instruction about specific food called KOFTA which is an Egyptian dish that I usually cook at least once a week.

The first manual instruction that I found to analyze is PUFF PASTRY STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE. So, she started her manual instruction by saying that she wanted to do a manual instruction of how to do the PUFF PASTRY. She thought that will be boring because it was a long way to write all these instructions down. However, her best friend encouraged her to start doing the PUFF PASTRY steps. So, I think her audience would be her friends because she was encouraged by her best friend. The purpose of that is to teach her friends how to do the PUFF PASTRY. The one who wrote that manual instruction was very smart because at the beginning she said why she was doing this. So, she did a step-by-step video which is ONE-minute edited video. She thought it was going to be boring but she did these boring steps in one minute!! it’s just so good that someone does that in one minute. Moreover, she wrote the steps underneath the video step by step just in case you don’t like to watch the video. Also, she did take some pictures of her steps doing these steps. Therefore, this manual instruction did what it set out to do.

The second manual instruction that I’m going to analyze is Samosa Recipe – How to Make Perfect Samosa. First of all the audiences are adults and chiefs because there are some terms no one will understand except chiefs or someone who has been cooking for a long time. The pictures that the writer used were a problem because from my point of view because the writer posts the same picture over and over for the samosa and it was already cooked which will not help the reader or whoever is following these steps. So, I think it did what it set out to do but it misses the pictures steps.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

This is fascinating and really shows how important visuals can be when they’re well thought-out. The kofta recipe (btw, I LOVE kofta and samosas) sounds like the author was very aware of her audience and did a great job of using short video. It also shows just how lacking the second one was — I hate recipes that only give a picture of the final product, especially if it’s something I’m not all that familiar with. Good work on these!