To: Professor Blain
From: Marcia Elias
Subject: 750-word Expanded Definition
Date: October 19, 2017
Technology is the use of knowledge to invent new devices or tools. Technology originated from the Greek word tekhné (art, craft) and logia. This definition is toward children and this summary will contain multiple definitions and sentences for children to understand and have a better understanding.
Discussion of Definitions
To find these definitions I used google and that led me to multiple sites to help me further such kids Britannica, yourdictionary.com and learnersdictionary.com. I was excited to see different definitions tailored to all ages of children. Children understand meanings different so it is important to use the correct variation of a definition.
Definition #1 from YourDictionary.com/technology
Technology is the knowledge in solving problems or used to make tools. The advancement of technology has been tremendous, starting with the Stone Age with the creation of fire to the present with computers, smartphones and the Internet. This definition is useful for those who are learning about the idea of technology and an understanding of its advancement. I noticed that after the definition, the website included a little history of technology which I found very useful for an explanation for a child to understand what technology is and what it does.
Definition #2 by www.learnersdictionary.com
Technology is the use of science in a workplace where problems are solved or useful tools are made. Technology in hospitals is important and needed. We need thermometers to measure our temperature, scales to check our weight and stethoscopes to check our heartbeats and breathing to make sure we are healthy. These instruments are also called medical technology. This helps people break down how technology is used in different environments.
Definition #3 by www.kids.wordsmyth.net/
Technology is the strategy and the use of inventions in being able to solve problems in the areas it is needed. Technology has helped the world whether positively or negatively. Texting and driving has been a real big issue throughout the years harming a lot of people which can result in death. T.V commercials and posters were made to inform us that texting and driving is a dangerous thing to do. Technology went beyond that and created different phone applications to where messages and calls cannot be accessed while on the road.
Contextual Uses: I will be explaining the term Technology to 6th graders, my mother in Spanish and high schoolers
- Sentence: Improvements in medical technology is helping save many lives.
- Audience: 6th grade students.
- Audience analysis: When 12 year olds think of technology they assume it’s their gaming consoles, their PCs and their smartphones.
- Purpose & context: Teaching them that there is a wide range of technology and the use can have endless possibilities.
- Sentence: La tecnología morderna no tiene que asustarnos (We must not be scared of modern technology).
- Audience: My 84 year old mother who speaks no English
- Audience analysis: Growing up in the mid-40s as a teen and the 50s as an adult technology was much different then what we are experiencing now in the 21st century.
- Purpose & Context: It is normal to be skeptic on things we do not know, so informing her about the wonderful aspects of technology helps ease the mind full of doubt.
- Sentence: Technology is a way to get ahead in this world age.
- Audience: High schoolers
- Audience analysis: High schoolers are soon to enter the world of adulthood. Technology is going to become their best friend in life situations for example, searching and applying for a job, having internet access for emails/texts and getting assignments completed whether school or job related.
- Purpose & context: Teaching students that good can come from technology. Technology is not be wasted when given the opportunity to use it.
technology. (n.d.). Retrieved October 19th, 2017, from http://www.yourdictionary.com/technology
technology. Technology – Definition for English-Language Learners from Merriam-Webster’s Learner’s Dictionary. Retrieved October 19th, 2017, from http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/technology
Children’s, Intermediate and Advanced Online English Dictionary & Thesaurus. echnology | Free On-Line English Dictionary | Thesaurus | Children’s, Intermediate Dictionary | Wordsmyth. October 19, 2017, from https://kids.wordsmyth.net/we/?rid=42279&ent_l=technology