Jacquelyn Blain | T-Th 11:30-12:45 | SP20221

Proposal – Lorenzo Dimaio

This problem is important to me and the the people I know by It had an effect on my mom and her job, it affected me by I had to do virtual school and I was unable to see my friends. The sources I would use is News, Gov, education, and scientist papers. I want everyone who is in school and who have jobs. Because the pandemic has led to a dramatic loss of human life worldwide and presents an unprecedented challenge to public health, food systems and the world of work. The economic and social disruption caused by the pandemic is devastating: tens of millions of people are at risk of falling into extreme poverty, while the number of undernourished people, currently estimated at nearly 690 million, could increase by up to 132 million by the end of the year. I would publish this on the New York times. Millions of agricultural workers – waged and self-employed – while feeding the world, regularly face high levels of working poverty, malnutrition and poor health, and suffer from a lack of safety and labor protection as well as other types of abuse. With low and irregular incomes and a lack of social support, many of them are spurred to continue working, often in unsafe conditions, thus exposing themselves and their families to additional risks. Further, when experiencing income losses, they may resort to negative coping strategies, such as distress sale of assets, predatory loans or child labor. Migrant agricultural workers are particularly vulnerable, because they face risks in their transport, working and living conditions and struggle to access support measures put in place by governments. Guaranteeing the safety and health of all agri-food workers – from primary producers to those involved in food processing, transport and retail, including street food vendors – as well as better incomes and protection, will be critical to saving lives and protecting public health, people’s livelihoods and food security.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

This sounds really good. I think the agri-food workers focus is terrific and not something we’ve seen a lot about yet. Also the NY Times is pretty much a perfect place because the readership is the kind that 1) gets all excited about issues like this, and 2) might actually be able to help do something about it. We’ll talk more about analyzing the publication tomorrow, but this is good.