The English language is a very powerful way of communication. If speaking in a way where it sounds incorrect or weird it may be considered as “broken English.” However, I do not have any experience with broken English.  My family was born and raised New York. My parents made sure we knew how to speak English properly. We never dealt with people who spoke “broken English.” Not because we didn’t want to but, because we never been in a situation where we had to deal with broken English. So I can’t really relate to Amy Tan’s situation when it comes to English but if I could, I wouldn’t be ashamed of her mother speaking broken English. She states that “It has always bothered me that I can think of no way to describe it other than “broken,” as if it was damaged or needed to be fixed.” In my opinion, If I could understand broken English I would just translated it to other if I needed to. However, I do agree with Lyiscott. Where she is proud to be a “trilingual orator.” Where she can speak fluently at home with Caribbean parents, and proper English in school, and speak formal with her friends. I like when she says “You may think it is ignorant to speak Broken English, but even articulate Americans sound foolish to the British.” Speaking in “broken English” doesn’t mean you are ignorant it just means that English isn’t your first language. That is something you shouldn’t be ashamed of especially, if English isn’t your or your family’s first language. If someone in your family speaks “broken English” then you either teach them how to speak English properly or translate what they say. Unfortunately, I can’t relate with dealing with “broken English” but, this is my advice to people who can understand “broken English.”