Idea from the text Response/Connection
“Language is the tool of my trade. And I use them all – – All the Englisher I grew up with.” I can agree with Tan because language can be seen as a tool to trade because we use English to talk and communicate with people without being jugged or by using any other language.
“My mother was in the room. And it was perhaps the first time she had heard me give a lengthy speech…. all the forms of standard English that I had learned in school and though books, the form of English I did not use at home with my mother” I can make a connection with this because my parents back when I was in elementary school me and did not know English well. I would just go on about something in English. Afterwards they would give me a blank stare of confused because they did not understand me due to not speaking English at home.
“When I was fifteen, she used to have me call people on the phone to pretend I was she. In this guise, I was forced to ask information or even to complain and yell at people who had been rude to her.” I can make this connection to myself till this day. My mom would always tell me to call my brother school or anywhere in general to ask questions because people will tell her they would not understand what she is trying to say.
This was understandable. Math is precise; there is only one correct answer. Whereas, for me at least, the answers on English test were always a judgment call, a matter of opinion and personal experience.” I can agree with this because in any other subject there will be one correct answer. However, in English there can be multiple and would not be incorrect due to English is a way to express yourself no matter what goes on.