Write Out Loud!

Sep 13 Hw

I agree with what Carillo is trying to say. Ever since elementary school, we’ve been following a certain guideline. We have been told many times how to write and to follow that to a certain extent whenever we write. I have had the feeling of accepting what someone else wrote. That has happened multiple times where each student had to peer review each other. Peer review could’ve made some students anxious. Some students could disagree with the mistakes that were corrected. I feel like most of the work I’ve reviewed has been ignored. I think not having my own response is kinda unfair. I would rather have myself review my own mistakes and improve the way I write. Usually, I would just ignore the comments that were made on my writing and just fixed it the way I liked it. I have never thought about the difference between “knowledge” and “understanding” but I do know there’s a difference. You could be knowledgeable about a topic but not be understanding it. It can be important in today’s world because both can impact each other. Being knowledgeable can help you be more understanding.

After reading about Tan, I’ve realized that I share similar experiences. When Tan talks about how she uses a different type of “Englishes” at home, I thought of myself doing the same. Tan says “..all the forms of standard English that I had learned in school and through books, the forms of English I did not use at home with my mother.” Back when I was a child, I only ever used Chinese to communicate. As I grew up, I started to use English more and more, to the point where I would only talk to my family in English. After a while, my parents would get used to it and know that they can understand it with ease. The way we use our “Englishes” changes depending on our situation.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

Smart comment on how we change our “English” based on different situations. I also have to agree that peer review can be the absolute worst, most useless activity in the world! I have a different way of approaching it that I hope makes it better for everybody.