Write Out Loud!

Englishes HW Husnain Khan

How do you feel about what Carillo is saying? Did you ever get the feeling when you were in school that you were only allowed to accept what someone wrote? That you couldn’t have your own response to it? How did/does that make you feel? In addition, have you ever thought about the difference between “knowledge” and “understanding”? Why would that be important in today’s world?

How I feel what Carillo is saying is very much appealing to us students and that the way schools want us to interpret something in one particularity way making us blind to how we actually see things. During study hours of class times and analyzing text pieces from different authors were tend to believe that when writing something as a writer their’s one way to write it but I tend to believe there are many ways due to all of us being writers. How it makes me feel is rather not so bad but makes me contemplate of writing pieces and education itself through my time in school.My thoughts about the difference between knowledge and understandings would be that both have their toll on people on how they look at things.For knowledge would be facts or prior information but not knowing what it can lead to.Understanding would be knowing what the criteria/building blocks add up to.In today’s world its important because people don’t tend to care to talking about understandings/knowledge of us students learning through this system of education.

Now that you’ve listened to/read Lysicott and Tan, write about your own experience with various “Englishes.” How has your experience been similar to Lysicott and/or Tan? Please be specific and use at least one quote from Tan or Lysicott in this part of your response.

My experiences with “Englishes” would possible be the slang terms which had me think whether or not my English was at the tip of its peak when I was younger and not so brilliant at the moment.The quote from Lysicott “I speak broken English so the profusing gashes can remind us that our current state is not a mystery”this quote at first didn’t make sense to me but I realized it is deeper then what it means which to my understanding I had a connection with the quote itself. Based on how I seen people talking to each other made me overlook my english and made me feel that I had to prefect my english but not so dramatically but as in start talking like the people around me but really had me realize that why would you wanna be a follower and use terms such as the goat, throw shade, yolo and etc when you could learn to accept your english isn’t broken and be a leader.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

Your comments about GOAT and other slang terms made me laugh! But I think your comments about education are well taken, especially when you said that knowledge alone can take a toll on somebody when they don’t really understand. Knowledge is, as you say, prior, but also not sufficient these days, right? We have to be able to think!