- The Biological Sciences department welcomes four new faculty members for the new academic year, Prof Mercer Robert Brugler, Prof Christopher Blair, and Prof Mai Zahran. Last year we welcomed two new faculty members, Prof Nathan Astrof and Prof Eugenia Giannopoulou.
- Prof. Ralph Alcendor and Prof. Liana Tsenova were awarded tenure. Congratulations!
Events, Presentations and Media 2014-2015
- Prof Haque organized her annual “Know Your Body” event which was extremely well attended by students (n=653) and organized by students as well (n=61)
- Prof Seto is featured as part of the RNA-Seq Working Group under an NSF Grant at the Dolan DNA Learning Center of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
- Prof Smyth presented a seminar titled “Insights into the Adaptability of the Staphylococci” at Queens College
- Prof Yehia’s paper in Nature Medicine was highlighted in Scientific American http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-acupuncture-curb-killer-immune-reactions/
- Prof Smyth presented a seminar titled “How to land and keep that Academic Job” at New York Medical College in June
- Prof Smyth presented on a panel as part of the 2014 Underground Zero festival and the Intrinsic Value Project “A meeting at the crossroads – science, performance and the art of possibility”
Grants & Fellowships 2014-2015
- The Bridges to Baccalaureate Proposal submitted to the National Institute of Health was successful and was funded ($1.5M)! Congratulations to all involved
- Prof Giannopoulou was awarded a Lorraine Beitler Foundation award
- Prof Smyth was awarded a SENCER Summer Institute Post-Implementation award with the NYCCT Team
Professional Development and Workshops 2014-2015
- Prof Smyth attended the Sencer Summer Institute as part of the four member NYCCT team in the University of Asheville North Carolina in August
- Professor Seto was a member of the RNA-Seq Working Group under an NSF Grant at the Dolan DNA Learning Center of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory