Diet Sodas and Cardiovascular Disease

After our discussion on carbohydrates and artificial sweeteners, I thought it might be appropriate to post this article. This is a 10 year-long cohort study from the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and at Columbia University Medical Center.  It was found that drinking diet sodas everyday result in a 43% increase of heart attack, stroke and/or vascular death.   Access the link below to get the full article from the Science Daily.

Are Diet Soft Drinks Bad for You?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120131092746.htm

Please feel free to engage in a scientific discussion and share what are your thoughts.  Hope we have fun discussing this topic. 

I will have to admit that after reading this article for sure I will have to moderate my own habits!

Now I wonder, what would happen to my favorite soda brand that promotes its support the women’s heart health programs?

10 Responses to Diet Sodas and Cardiovascular Disease

1. trestivo says:

Based off this data, which I find intriguing, this article does state that further research is needed to determine if this correlation between diet soda and cardiovascular disease is valid. However, its been noted that sugar alternatives are not proving to be safer than sugar cane, so to me this evidence is not a surprise. Thanks for sharing.

2. neera radoo says:

I agree with Toni ann, more research needs to be conducted. What was not mentioned is the food consumption and lifestyle of these individuals, are they having a big mac while sitting in front of a T.V., or are they eating salads and going to the gym or vice versa while drinking diet sodas?

3. rsingh says:

According to this report, for an individual to be affected, the must have a pre-existing condition, so i think a study should be done where there are no pre-existing conditions to come to a more accurate conclusion. Then again who would volunteer to be a guinea pig. However, i feel anything that does not get metabolized by the body , would potentially cause harm.

4. alsaeditareq says:

i think that studies most be done to prove or reject this. also people have to change their habits and life style.

5. mmeijers says:

It seems to be just a draft of the actual study, so more information is definitely needed to create a conclusion. I think what she’s trying to say is that it is equally harmful to drink diet sodas as it is to drink regular sodas- at least based on the study. At least it’s not better, like most of us think. I can see how it makes sort of sense. Nobody drinks diet soda to be healthy. They drink it because they have a thirst for something sweet and they are choosing a less harmful option, or so they think. In therory, a person who only drinks diet soda can have the exact same diet that a regular soda consumer, besides the soda of course. It can make you healthy or unhealthy, depending on what you eat. It’s easy to speculate when all the facts aren’t present.

6. LeGashi says:

I agree with many of you, obviously further investigation has to take place, and ofcourse until reaching an official resultits hard to tell. On the other hand, personally i have never chose to drink any beverages that are in diet form. One because I always felt anything artifial will somehow catch up to you sooner or later, and secondly, they taste horrible.

7. vitaz says:

This is a very good article. It is hard to do a study and see if soda related to cardiovascular disease,since many people who consume soft drinks they have other bad habits such as: eating junk food, living unhealthy life and smoking. I see more and more studies done about soft drinks that advise people to limit their soft drink consumption due to negative effects it has on human body. I am not shocked that it can lead to Cardiovascular diseases, since when you drink soda you experience that elevation in blood pressure and that weird feeling.

8. wafa says:

Everything in moderation.

9. lhernandez24 says:

For sure everything that is put on a soft drink can not be good if you take it everyday. Everything is chemicals especially diet sodas. This article looks pretty convincing but for me it appears that it needs more evidence, regardless that we all know that soda is bad for you.