Effect of pH on Enzyme Activity
- Add 5 ml of water to an empty tube (this is the BLANK)
- To 3 separate tubes, add 2.5 ml of buffer pH 3, pH 5 or pH 7
- Add 2.5 ml of starch (substrate) to each of these tubes (excluding BLANK)
- Add 2 drops of iodine to each tube and mix: Blank, pH 3, pH 5, pH 7
- Read the Blank in the spectrophotometer and calibrate it to 100% transmittance at 560nm
- Read each tube in the spectrophotometer. This is time 0 min.
- Add 35 drops of amylase solution to each tube simultaneously, mix to homogeneity.
- At 2 minute intervals, quickly read ALL tubes in the spectrophotometer.
- Continue reading the samples every 2 minutes until you reach 22 minutes on the table below.
Tags: quantitative reasoning, analysis, inquiry, integration of knowledge