PART C: UNDERSTANDING HEALTH POLICIES AND PROGRAMS
Objectives: Students will be introduced to public health and learn about policies and programs that target communities (groups of people) rather than an individual. They will engage in a group exercise to apply concepts related to public health initiatives.
Note: Due dates for all assignments/exams are listed on the syllabus, posted on Blackboard.
Week 11: Asynchronous
Health policies and programs
Assignment – Blog Entry #4 Due on Blackboard
Directions: After reviewing links (a) through (d) and watching the Introduction to Public Health video below, provide a response to these four items on Blackboard.
- Item 1: Provide a definition for public health.
- Item 2: Describe what is meant by public health policy and provide 2 examples.
- Item 3: Summarize The Public Health Approach described in the video and presented in Slides 17-24 of the CDC PowerPoint.
- Item 4: Summarize The Health Impact Pyramid described in the video and presented in Slides 40-43 of the CDC PowerPoint.
- Health Policy | Healthy People 2030
- Health Programs | Healthy People 2030
- Promoting Health for Adults | CDC
- Introduction to Public Health | CDC PowerPoint*
Watch – Introduction to Public Health VIDEO
*Citation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Introduction to Public Health. In: Public Health 101 Series. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; 2014.
Recommended reading: Contemporary Health Promotion in Nursing Practice (Raingruber, 2017) Chapter 12 - Health Promotion Policy
Week 12: Asynchronous
Health communication and education
Assignment: Blog Entry #5 Due on Blackboard
Directions: After reviewing links (a) through (c) and watching the Effective Health Communication and Health Literacy video below, provide a response to these four items on Blackboard.
- Item 1: Define health education and provide 2 examples.
- Item 2: Define health communication and provide 2 examples.
- Item 3: What is the teach-back method and as a health care provider how can you use it with patients?
- Item 4: Describe an evidence-based health education program that can be used for the health condition your group was assigned. For this item, you will need to do some research with reputable sources. Be sure to include a reference for the health education program you select.
- Health Education Strategies | Rural Health Toolkit
- Health Communication Strategies | Rural Health Toolkit
- Health Communication | Healthy People 2030
Recommended reading: Contemporary Health Promotion in Nursing Practice (Raingruber, 2017) Chapter 10 - Evaluation, Research, and Measurement in Health Promotion Practice
Weeks 13 and 14: Online Lectures
Group presentations #2 – Public Health (Smoking, Obesity, COVID, Diabetes, Depression, Opioids)
During Weeks 13 and 14, six groups will be presenting on public health initiatives for their assigned health condition.
- The health conditions to be presented are the same ones that were assigned for the Midterm paper.
- Presentations will be 20 minutes each, with a 10-minute question-and-answer period.
- The presentation will cover the four areas: (1) overview of the health condition for the NYC area including health disparities, (2) risk factors associated with the health condition for NYC residents, (3) recommended policies to address the health condition, and (4) recommended health programs for the NYC community.
- Be sure that your presentation is supported by at least 4 external research sources (one per area).
- Groups will prepare and use a PowerPoint for their presentation.
- In addition, each group will play an active role in another group’s 10-minute question-and-answer period. This will be discussed during class.
Week 13 presentations: Diabetes, Depression, Opioids
Week 14 presentations: Smoking, Obesity, COVID
Assignment: Due Week 13 & 14 on Blackboard – Group Presentation #2 PowerPoint
Week 15: Asynchronous
Online final exam (Blackboard)Print this page