Network Event 1 – Creative Circle Portfolio Session

Last Wednesday, at 6 PM, at the school amphitheater, we had the visit of two representatives from Creative Circle, a recruitment agency which according to their website: “is a specialized staffing agency that connects innovative advertising, marketing, creative, digital, and interactive professionals with companies seeking talent on a full-time or freelance basis.”

The representatives who visited us were Jocelyn and Beth, two very energetic ladies which gave us some real life tips, when creating and presenting resumes and portfolios. Besides many others, these were some of the tips that I found useful:

• Choose the right font for legibility and personality, remember you are branding yourself
  • The size of the font should be large enough to be read, even if the resume has to be more than one page
  • What to include: Full, not necessarily legal name, Phone number, Professional Email Address, Website or blog. Any worth mentioning honor or Certification, like a higher than 3.5 GPA.
  • In the Job history, start in reverse chronological order, and mention any special achievement as a result of your work (Very important), for ex: Instagram followers increased to over 1000 in just 6 months.
  • Common mistakes that made a resume likely to be rejected, for ex: unprofessional email address
  • Be aware of your social media persona; more than 70% of recruiters check a candidate’s Facebook profile before hiring them.
  • What’s the most important information for recruiters.
  • If you freelance, mention clients and achievements.
  • How to organize and present your portfolio
  • What not to include or do in the Portfolio
  • What to bring to an Interview: business cards, presentation devices: laptop, tablet, etc.., positive attitude, confidence and appropriate questions in order to show your knowledge about the Company.

Later, I asked for Jocelyn contact, which is jyant@creativecircle.com and their NYC Office phone number is 212-777-8001.

Overall, I found the meeting very useful and got extremely useful information, that I’ll be implementing in my own presentation.