Proposal: 

How has Covid-19 Pandemic affected the mental health of students

My proposal is “How has Covid-19 Pandemic affected students’ mental health?” This proposed topic is directly related to the self-help genre because being affected by mental health as teens helps you recognize patterns in your emotions, including situations that can trigger worsened symptoms. It can also help identify necessary activities for your well-being and soothe negative symptoms of a mental illness or stress. 

Self-help can intervene in this Covid-19 Pandemic affected student’s mental health crisis. It shows that self-help can help you with stress, anxiety, and depression. They can also help you plan when you’re unwell or in a crisis with teens living to experience mental ill-health. My state of mind can help me understand mental health conditions and think about what enables me to stay well.

The self-help genre is related to the Covid-19 Pandemic affecting students’ mental health because it goes in-depth with taking care of yourself and seeking help or support to deal with mental illness as a teen. I believe self-help can improve teens’ mental health because practicing mindfulness and focusing on the present moment can help families build coping skills.

Annotated Sources:

1. Smith, Emily Esfahani. ” Teenagers Are Struggling, and It’s Not Just Lockdown.” The New York Times, The New York Times, May 4th, 2021, https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/opinion/coronavirus-mental-health-teenagers.html?searchResultPosition=2.

The article quotes, “Teenagers Are Struggling, and It’s Not Just Lockdown,” about the Coronavirus pandemic’s mental impact on students attending high school to college. The pressure to receive good grades can stress students and have anxiety in everyday life. Students feel that what they are learning online is inadequate feeling far behind other kids when they get to college. Smith writes, “According to a national poll conducted in January by the University of Michigan’s C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital, 46 percent of parents say their teenagers’ mental health has worsened during the pandemic.” “More alarmingly, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report found that 12 to 17-year-olds visits emergency rooms for their mental health reasons rose 31 percent for most of 2020 compared with 2019.” I agree that things happen to students’ mental health state of mind, but it can happen to everyone. While searching for articles for my research, they all stated that mental stability in students is decreasing. What will be the result if we as a society respond too late to this crisis? How long will we have to decline before something gets done? Will we recover at some point? We need more care in the care of our youth as they continue to struggle during the Pandemic before the suicide rate increases exponentially. Students should have more access to mental health services and shouldn’t be judged or ridiculed for seeking help.

Annotated Sources:

2. Richtel, Matt. ” How to Help Teens Struggling with Mental Health.” The New York Times, April 23rd, 2022

How to Help Teens Struggling with Mental Health – The New York Times (nytimes.com)

In this article, Matt Richtel explains How can adolescents struggle with mental health? And What can you do to help with mental health? He believes that talking to a counselor can be a direction for approaching these issues to be clear on your questions. A doctor said, in quotes, “Be gentle, be curious, and, over time, be persistent but not insistent,” Dr. Hinshaw explained. “Shame and stigma are a huge equation here, and if you are outraged and judgmental, be prepared for a shutdown.” I think teenagers need time to open up to people they know, especially when it is tough to let anyone know what they feel and go through time from time. Growing up can be hard for me to face challenging situations as a teenager. No one knowing about some things you go through for years can be horrific. Just letting a family member know, a school counselor, or a close friend, cannot understand because it’s something you would only talk about to a professional. This article is different from the first article because it gives information and tips about how managing a mental health crisis can be challenging for teenagers and their parents. 

Annotated Sources:

3. Richtel, Matt. ” t’s Life or Death:’ The Mental Health Crisis Among U.S Teens.” The New York Times, April 23rd, 2022

‘It’s Life or Death’: The Mental Health Crisis Among U.S. Teens – The New York Times (nytimes.com)

This article went into depth by speaking about mental health among teenagers and how the Covid-19 Pandemic intensified it but predated it, spanning racial and ethnic groups, urban and rural areas, and the socioeconomic divide. The article stated, “In December, the U.S. surgeon general warned of a “devastating” mental health crisis in a rare public advisory.” I feel that it can take a toll on adolescent’s kids in the whole state because of how rising levels of mental illness are. As the article is deeper into my understanding, I quote, from the article, “Are these issues inherent to adolescence that merely went unrecognized before — or are they being over-diagnosed now? Historical comparisons are difficult, as some data around certain issues, like teen anxiety and depression, were recently collected.” I believe that the adolescent crisis is unfolding in a more accepting environment. Mental health issues have carried so much stigma that people and teens talk about them often. This article is different from all the articles I have done because it shows how many teens face too many mental health crises before and during the Covid-19 Pandemic. The article can help others meet their issues by talking to someone who can relate to their story. 

Annotated Sources:

4. Emma Goldberg. “Teens in Covid Isolation: ‘I felt like I was suffocating’ The New York Times, Published November 12, 2020, Updated October 5, 2021, Teens in Covid Isolation: ‘I Felt Like I Was Suffocating’ – The New York Times (nytimes.com)

The article is about self-help in many ways. I like researching this website because it explains teens’ personal lives in isolation and how you can relate to a person who has dealt with a situation that can be hard to do. Still, it also explains the importance of dealing with anxiety and depression, which plays a role in how “Self-care helps reduce stress.” I relate to this article because I’ve had anxiety during the Pandemic. I think this article is trying to tell us that the Pandemic can change people’s mental health. The article, which talks about the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has heard of students getting anxiety and depression from the Pandemic and doing everything to help. I believe it’s connected to self-help because it’s how it can represent helping with mental illness for teens. 

Annotated Sources:

5. Hussong, Andrea. “The impact of COVID-19 on adolescents’ mental health.” UNC College, November 8, 2021

The impact of COVID-19 on adolescents’ mental health – College of Arts & Sciences (unc.edu)

Reading this article made me understand the value of self-help that can help teens through situations. It explains that it’s high on mental state, but not so much on anxiety. According to Hussong, “Studies that followed youth from before the pandemic to sometime in the first six months report increases in adolescent depression and negative effects but little change or even decreases in anxiety, irritability, and self-injury.” This article can improve Americans’ health and quality of life of all ages for teens, regardless of mental state or any other health defect. 

Annotated Sources:

6. Pontz, Eden. “How to Support Teens’ Mental Health During COVID and Beyond.” Greater Good Article, April 12, 2021

How to Support Teens’ Mental Health During COVID and… (berkeley.edu)

This article speaks on how mental health can change over time, and it’s a critique article for my annotated research sources. Covid-19 mental health can help you understand balance and focus on coping with facing challenges. Still, it can also help teens to know how to do self-care. Such as in the article, I quote, “include spending time with others (in a safe way), healthy eating, exercising, getting enough sleep, and making time to relax. Consider relaxation techniques such as meditation, yoga, reading a book, listening to calming music, or enjoying a hobby.” Overall, I have done meditation which has helped me with my stress. It can positively impact teens dealing with mental illness because it shows excellent statistics on how it improved people.