Erick Bueno

Professor Belli

ENG 3402 OL80

26 April 2022

Research Project Proposal Draft

Proposal: How present is the concept of self help in religion, specifically within the Roman Catholic Church?

Growing up in a very catholic family I have seen these similar aspects of self help within my household. When we began to read the texts and discuss them in class I realized that it was very similar to the principals and morals of the Catholic faith. The difference would be that the texts we read and discussed explained the topic of the law of attraction, the faith of believing in the universe to continually reward us for the use of the law. This idea is very similar to the concept of the relationship with a person and God. I will pursue and continue to dig in to try and see how present this idea of self help is present within the church. 

Annotated Sources: 

https://www.christconnections.me/?gclid=CjwKCAjwsJ6TBhAIEiwAfl4TWCSvqX685Oge7J7ivnjO1caqRqfuBDhnES_2BpZwsmZNlLkh2kZ-1BoCPB4QAvD_BwE 

The big bold letters in the beginning of the website state “ Helping you overcome life’s pain, find healing, and grow in holiness”, which sounds very familiar to some of the other self help websites we have looked at throughout the semester. The website has created a platform to invite those who are struggling in life and looking for an answer. The website presents a practice which many saints have used within the church which is recalled as the “Healing of Memories”. It goes on to explain that memories hold a big role in how a person might be doing spiritually and mentally. “ Memories – both conscious and subconscious – can leave us emotionally and physically drained. The Healing of Memories helps you break these chains that hold you down and releases you from your suffering”. It goes on to quote some verses of the bible in order to show that Jesus or God persay invites everyone even the ones who are suffering in order to be relieved of this suffering by performing an act of self help in order to be relieved. 

Wansbrough, Henry. The New Jerusalem Bible. Doubleday, 1985.

Overall the use of the bible is unique for every user. I personally grew up in a catholic family and happen to read the bible on occasion. Though I never realized how many texts and phrases throughout the bible indicate this idea of self help, whether it is through prayer or an optimistic view of the world in the sense of believing that something much greater than us is in control and if we tap in into this greater being then we will be able to do anything. I chose to use the bible as a source because I could not think of a better way to investigate the presence of self help within the roman catholic church than the book in which every person of the catholic faith uses to help and scrutinize their life and everything going on around them. The bible is an essential part of the Roman Catholic Church and everyone who practices the faith has one and I think it is the best way to look into the aspect of self help being present in the religion. 

Catholic Church. Catechism of the Catholic Church. 2nd ed., Our Sunday Visitor, 2000.

I chose to also use the Catechism of the Catholic church to grasp a better understanding of how the church perceives the idea of self help within the faith. Within the church self help can be referred to as faith, faith in God and everything he has done.  

• “from the intimate sense of spiritual realities which [believers] experience”,59 The sacred Scriptures “grow with the one who reads them.”60
  • “from the preaching of those who have received, along with their right of succession in the episcopate, the sure charism of truth”.61

These two citations from the catechism show how within the scripture of the church which also includes the bible. This section of the catechism is labeled as The Interpretation of the Heritage of Faith. I want to go into the depths of the church to see how they interpret and instill the idea of self help within the church and also how it is projected onto its followers.