The Importance of Self-Love Within Romantic Relationships

When it comes to self-love in romantic relationships, we tend to focus on the mental, physical, and spiritual growth in oneself, specifically the positive and negative impacts it can have on the partner itself. This topic interest me because I had a hard time loving myself when I was young in feeling that I did not belong because of who I am. Moving back and forth between Trinidad and New York, I had challenges making friends because I was afraid to put myself out there and did not want to get rejected for being myself. Ever since I had those problems and feelings when I was young, it has affected me in ways of wondering if I will ever be good enough for someone I truly love.

As stated by the article intitled, ‘Self-Love and What It Means,’ “Self-love is a state of appreciation for oneself that grows from actions that support our physical, psychological and spiritual growth. Self-love means having a high regard for your own well-being and happiness. Self-love means taking care of your own needs and not sacrificing your well-being to please others. Self-love means not settling for less than you deserve.” Love is important in all relationships, and it is especially important to love yourself. If you do not love yourself, then how can you expect others to? One way to start loving yourself more is by thinking about your past and noticing when you began having negative feelings about yourself.

Self-awareness is not enough to make us love ourselves. We need to understand the negative feelings we have about ourselves and why we have had those feelings in the past. That way, we can begin a process of changing our thoughts about who we are and how much value we place on ourselves. To increase self-love and heal personal wounds, one must first build up their self-esteem. However, most of us grow up believing that negative assessments about ourselves are rational or reasonable. We believe this because we hear these negative thoughts from our inner voice all the time.

Self-love plays a pretty big role in one’s relationships with others. When one shifts their mindset to view their relationship with their self just like any other relationship, they desire with someone else, their relationship will thrive. Do not forget that the relationship one has with their self is the one relationship that one knows for sure they are going to have for the rest of life, so why not make it the best relationship?

Ajah Shann-Cover Letter

Ajah Shann-Research Presentation